• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

Roberto El Rey

Unelected bureaucrat
This is an unwritten role in "For All Time" isn't it?

President Jones
Governor Jim Jones
Chairman Chikatilo

The logical continuation is Shipman being PM. IIRC Fred West was an admiral in Roem's continuation of the story.
Harold Shipman's fate is actually specified in the epilogue to For All Time: he serves as head doctor of a massive hospital in Nigeria before being found dead with a syringe of something poisonous stuck in his leg.

George Kearton

Published by SLP
I remember my Dad wondering what would have happened if the Tunguska meteorite had landed on Moscow or St Petersburg.

a good chunk of history from 1908 onwards would be rewritten, especially as there's a good chance Communism wouldn't have come to power.
This sort of happens in "The Longest Road" - volume nine of my "House of Stuart Sequence" which I have just sent to SLP for future publication...

Archibald

Patreon supporter
And it could ery well have happened, it was a matter of Earth rotation... it come close...

Truth is, had the meteor come two hours earlier, it would have passed close from Earth on its orbit around the Sun, but missed it. The only way would be to give the metor a slightly higher speed over the previous decades and centuries, so that is still slams into Earth, with Moscow having rotated with Earth and become a huge target in place of Tungska.

Another interesting whatif is Tambora and Krakatoa erupting, not 68 years apart (1815 and 1883) but the same year or only months apart. Dear God. You can kiss Indonesia goodbye, 92 000 + 36 000 death OTL, probably much more ITTL.
Those two ranks among the five biggest volcanic eruption in human recent history. They actually wrecked the climate for months and years at a time. Krakatoa explosion was heard 2000 miles away, loudest sound ever recorded.

Then, if you divide 68 by two, that's 34 years. 1815 + 34 or 1883 - 34 = 1849.

Kaboom go the Indonesian monster volcanoes, and down the drain goes the weather - the year without a summer happening the year after 1848, hell of a moment in Europe history, France included.
There will be blood.

Last edited:

lerk

There's a TL going on in AH.com chat where Elizabeth Warren becomes president in 2024 and because she makes some vague statements in support of gun control and hate crime legislation every red state secedes, makes a constitution which does away with secularism, abortion and same-sex marriage (and also has a balanced budget amendment), and wins every battle while the US government is presumably eating paste or something.

There's a TL going on in AH.com chat where Elizabeth Warren becomes president in 2024 and because she makes some vague statements in support of gun control and hate crime legislation every red state secedes, makes a constitution which does away with secularism, abortion and same-sex marriage (and also has a balanced budget amendment), and wins every battle while the US government is presumably eating paste or something.
It seems to be hugely popular.

Tovarich

a sinking dumpling. He/Him.
Couldn't the US just buy it all back for cents-on-the-dollar at the secessionists' fire sale when they go bankrupt in about a fortnight?

Coiler

Connoisseur of the Miscellaneous
OK, this. It's a first TL, so I don't want to go too hard (after all, I've written horrible things in the past myself). But...

It says something about my (utter lack of) literary taste that I've read too many books about this kind of thing. I've read books from the perspective of the rebels (naturally they're axe-grinding "FREE MAN" fiction), books from the perspective of the government (where militias and the like are used as yet another post-Soviet thriller opponent), and even a book that tried to provide a wakeup call to the whole thing and show how nasty, horrible, and unromantic such an event would really be (didn't quite succeed but I give it praise for trying).

So having read such a big sampling of Second Civil War Fiction, I'll say that this is something the "TL" format isn't suited for. I'll admit this is probably a personal hangup on my part, but I'm far more willing to put up with a premise like that when it's used as the basis for a narrative story (even a cheesy cheap thriller) than when it's just plopped down as a small list of events. For a "TL"-format story to succeed for me, it needs detail and it needs a sense of "feeling right". This has neither.

Burton K Wheeler

Itinerant Frontier Hobo
I only just became aware of this thing because it's starting to generate reports and I don't want to read it seriously. Is it NDCR-bad?

Skinny87

Nye Bevan, with the Crocodile, in the GMC Chambers
Patreon supporter
I only just became aware of this thing because it's starting to generate reports and I don't want to read it seriously. Is it NDCR-bad?
Well, it seems to be over, all bar a few more posts, unlike NDCR which just kept going and becoming even more of a jerk-off fantasy

Elektronaut

Those Chosen by the Planet
Looks like a standard future history timeline from 2009, with trash-level plausibility and everything done through headlines with exclamation marks! at! the! end! of! each! of! them!

Where's the Corbis?

Burton K Wheeler

Itinerant Frontier Hobo
I read the first few pages. I sort of liked the framing device he was using, where he quoted real news headlines making it look like escalating tensions, then started making up ones that read similarly but even more dramatic (though it was a bit odd he jumped six years with no explanation). Then, bam, secession. It didn't really make any sense. If you're going to do that kind of story, you should have something more to say than "another American civil war that is somehow exactly like the first". He was doing an exact parallel to the OTL secession by having the South secede as soon as the new President was inaugurated, but he didn't really create a set of issues that would parallel slavery.

I mean, I'm giving way too much thought to generic lazy bad FH, but it's not impossible to do a good job at it even if it's a right-wing tract, which this one appeared to be. This was more like 2006-era AH.com where everything is moving lines on a map. In fact, I'm 99% sure someone did this exact TL, down to gun control being the slavery analogue, except with Hillary Clinton in 2008 and not Elizabeth Warren in 2024.