• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

La Maison-Bleue: A Canadian AH comedy about Québécois independence

Hendryk

Taken back control yet?
Published by SLP
Coming up next month, this political fiction comedy by Ricardo Trogi imagines that the 1995 referendum goes the other way, and Quebec becomes independent. Twenty-five years later, its bumbling president is looking for ways to boost his sagging popularity.

I've watched the first couple of episodes. As AH goes, this is very much at the comedic end of the spectrum, mostly because the president of the Republic of Quebec and his underlings come across as utterly incompetent--but then you remember the sort of people who actually are in charge OTL and suddenly it's not so implausible anymore.

One example: the plot involves trading a slice of Quebec territory north of the 56th parallel to the US in exchange for some Florida coastline, and before it's even seriously been looked into, the president's wife has already bought herself a Florida condo on the government's tab. Haha, surely that would never happen in real life.

Also I wonder if the population of Quebec being shown to have buyer's remorse over choosing to leave Canada without thinking it through might be a dig at a certain other referendum in recent memory.

I've watched the first couple of episodes. As AH goes, this is very much at the comedic end of the spectrum, mostly because the president of the Republic of Quebec and his underlings come across as utterly incompetent--but then you remember the sort of people who actually are in charge OTL and suddenly it's not so implausible anymore.

One example: the plot involves trading a slice of Quebec territory north of the 56th parallel to the US in exchange for some Florida coastline, and before it's even seriously been looked into, the president's wife has already bought herself a Florida condo on the government's tab. Haha, surely that would never happen in real life.

Also I wonder if the population of Quebec being shown to have buyer's remorse over choosing to leave Canada without thinking it through might be a dig at a certain other referendum in recent memory.
Where were you able to stream it? I've got a lot more free time now so if there's a way I can watch it, I'd like to.

Also, did you have any trouble understanding the dialogue @Hendryk?. Even though I've spent eight of the last nine months in France surrounded by nothing but French-speaking people, when I watched the trailer and some other promo material I could find online, I had some trouble understanding what the characters were saying.

I streamed it on Zone-Warez, but I think it's down now. As for the dialogue, I have to admit I didn't get everything--there are a number of Québécois colloquialisms I'm not acquainted with, and when spoken too fast the accent can lose me. In fact, it's embarrassing to admit, but to many French people there's something inherently comical about Québécois, call it unconscious cultural chauvinism.

Back