• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Kindle rankings

As an exercise in understanding how small the Australian book market is, I checked the Amazon Australia rankings before and after I bought a copy of The Russian Resistance (Book 2 of the Misfit Squadron by @Simon Brading).

Before:
#1446 in Steam Punk Fiction
#2910 in Alternate History Science Fiction
#2152 in Alternative History (Kindle Store)
Overall Amazon Australia bestseller sales rank: #882,478

After:
#7 in Steam Punk Fiction
#26 in Alternate History Science Fiction
#19 in Alternative History (Kindle Store)
Overall Amazon Australia bestseller sales rank: #8,878
Makes one wonder if one can game the Amazon algorithm by getting mates in countries with smaller book markets to buy one copy of something...though I don't know if sales in one market affect visibility in another.

Makes one wonder if one can game the Amazon algorithm by getting mates in countries with smaller book markets to buy one copy of something...though I don't know if sales in one market affect visibility in another.
As far as I know, different Amazon markets are entirely independent of each other in terms of sales rankings. The sales ranks are simply who’s last sold a book in that country.

Maybe there’s overlap in terms of recommendations for those who’ve got enough reviews?

I think that the best way is not to game the system, but simply to find legitimate ways to increase the number of positive reviews. That makes more difference than anything else I can think of.

I think that the best way is not to game the system, but simply to find legitimate ways to increase the number of positive reviews. That makes more difference than anything else I can think of.
Well, yes, it's just getting Amazon reviews seems slightly more difficult than transmuting elements with your bare hands.

Well, yes, it's just getting Amazon reviews seems slightly more difficult than transmuting elements with your bare hands.
Building up a newsletter seems to be the best way both for that and for engaging with readers in general. An author I know was short of reviews on one of her new books. Asked her newsletter subscribers to review her book if they liked it, and had 50 new reviews a week later.

I don’t have the time to maintain a newsletter at the moment, but I plan on starting once I have enough published work for it to be worth it.

Building up a newsletter seems to be the best way both for that and for engaging with readers in general. An author I know was short of reviews on one of her new books. Asked her newsletter subscribers to review her book if they liked it, and had 50 new reviews a week later.

I don’t have the time to maintain a newsletter at the moment, but I plan on starting once I have enough published work for it to be worth it.
Maybe we could do a joint SLP one, that could cut down on the effort expended? A thought at least.

It's something I had been planning to do for SFP. Assuming circumstances allow, I'd be happy to try and get the practise in for this interim period.
SLP already has a mailing list and a bunch of articles. Turning that into a newsletter would take more work, of course, but that’s a good base to build from.

Do a 'best of' some of our articles mixed with author interviews, upcoming previews etc?
That’s content, which is important of course.

Though the other part is building subscribers. I don’t remember exactly what people agree to when they join the mailing list - if the newsletter isn’t covered by that there’d need to be an opt-in process. And costs permitting, set up somewhere like BookFunnel or somewhere to manage the subscription and mailout part.

There’s plenty of ways of building subscribers, of course. Sign up to get a free short story (for example) is a useful way, but there’s plenty of others.

What do those actually involve? How often do you need to send one out to make it worthwhile for people?

We currently do an automated digest of all our articles, that goes out every Friday at noon to our 100 or so mailing list subscribers. I'd be happy to look at what else we could put in it.

What do those actually involve? How often do you need to send one out to make it worthwhile for people?
The key part about author newsletters is about building personal brand as an author and engaging with readers in a way which they wouldn't otherwise get through formats such as social media. The rationale (from one of the websites I've linked to below) is that following an author on social media like Twitter is low effort but also low engagement; a newsletter is more author effort but also more reader engagement.

A lot of indie authors I've seen also do things like occasional interviews with other authors, mailing list swaps for giveaways and other occasional promotions (although these have to be careful not to be overdone). The idea is to build up a group of subscribers who are actively engaged and much more inclined both to get stuff from the author but also to recommend and on-promote the author through their own social media channels. And cross-pollination between author newsletters, used sparingly, helps to build that community of engagement.

From what I understand, the SLP mailing list is a different beast with a different purpose - essentially keep people updated with new releases etc, and links to articles which they can view anyway through the website - convenient reminder but not exclusive content. So lower effort but also lower engagement (though more than social media).

If looking to create an SLP newsletter, it would need to be a different creation - more about exclusive content, giveaways, behind the scenes views, advance notice of upcoming books, etc. It wouldn't work in exactly the same way as an author newsletter, since it would need to be about engagement with the SLP brand rather than an author's personal brand. We already have the SLP Forum which fills part of that purpose as well, with more direct engagement with authors etc, so I'm not sure whether there's another niche which an SLP newsletter would fit into. Maybe - could always try it and see.

Below is a list of some useful links for author newsletters. Obviously would need to be adapted to SLP purposes if creating an SLP newsletter.

https://writersedit.com/self-publishing/ultimate-guide-establishing-author-newsletter/
https://medium.com/writers-on-writi...hor-newsletter-that-isnt-terrible-650ecf37578
https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2019/06/14-content-ideas-for-author-newsletters/
https://www.janefriedman.com/email-newsletters-for-authors/
https://shaylaraquel.com/blog/authoremailtips

Thanks @Jared , I'd been wondering how these worked (& if it's something I should try)
They do seem to be suited more to authors who are regularly churning out a large volume of written material, since they help to promote everything which an author has written - and also help the more full-time authors themselves feel a sense of engagement, since one of the things about being a full-time author is that it can get pretty socially isolating at times. (Pre COVID-19, at least - now everyone gets that).

For myself I don't think it's worthwhile yet since for me writing at the moment is more an occasional sideline thing I do (1 novel and 3 short stories published, with 2 more in press). This means it isn't really worth the large amount of marketing time it would take me to do all of the things which authors are recommended to do (newsletter, Facebook, dedicated author page, Goodreads, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, blog, etc etc) since, well, there's not going to be much of a return. If I turn writing into something I do more, though, then those sort of things are really worth doing.

So short version - if writing is something you rely on as a major source of income, those kinds of marketing are worth the time. If not, then... not.

They do seem to be suited more to authors who are regularly churning out a large volume of written material, since they help to promote everything which an author has written - and also help the more full-time authors themselves feel a sense of engagement, since one of the things about being a full-time author is that it can get pretty socially isolating at times. (Pre COVID-19, at least - now everyone gets that).

For myself I don't think it's worthwhile yet since for me writing at the moment is more an occasional sideline thing I do (1 novel and 3 short stories published, with 2 more in press). This means it isn't really worth the large amount of marketing time it would take me to do all of the things which authors are recommended to do (newsletter, Facebook, dedicated author page, Goodreads, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, blog, etc etc) since, well, there's not going to be much of a return. If I turn writing into something I do more, though, then those sort of things are really worth doing.

So short version - if writing is something you rely on as a major source of income, those kinds of marketing are worth the time. If not, then... not.
That's why I thought it might make more sense to do it as more of an SLP thing, as taken all together we are producing enough for a newsletter to always have something to talk about.

That's why I thought it might make more sense to do it as more of an SLP thing, as taken all together we are producing enough for a newsletter to always have something to talk about.
I think that an SLP newsletter has some potential, but I'd see it as complementary to an author newsletter, not a replacement. SLP newsletter would be about building the SLP brand and engagement with AH enthusiasts/readers, while an author newsletter would be about building the author's brand and promoting the full scope of an author's works. But there are things which would go into an SLP newsletter and not an author newsletter, and vice versa.

For instance, an individual author's newsletter might include more of things which they personally found of interest and might want to share with their readers. It would also have the full scope of their writing, rather than just the items with SLP. (For authors who have things with different publishers, which is many though of course not all authors). On the other hand, the SLP newsletter would have articles more on whole of SLP promotions and the like, which an individual author newsletter wouldn't.

Of course, contributing to an SLP newsletter would be a good way for author(s) to get practice in preparing for their individual newsletters, if they are ever going to reach the point where it's worth if for them.

I think that an SLP newsletter has some potential, but I'd see it as complementary to an author newsletter, not a replacement. SLP newsletter would be about building the SLP brand and engagement with AH enthusiasts/readers, while an author newsletter would be about building the author's brand and promoting the full scope of an author's works. But there are things which would go into an SLP newsletter and not an author newsletter, and vice versa.

For instance, an individual author's newsletter might include more of things which they personally found of interest and might want to share with their readers. It would also have the full scope of their writing, rather than just the items with SLP. (For authors who have things with different publishers, which is many though of course not all authors). On the other hand, the SLP newsletter would have articles more on whole of SLP promotions and the like, which an individual author newsletter wouldn't.

Of course, contributing to an SLP newsletter would be a good way for author(s) to get practice in preparing for their individual newsletters, if they are ever going to reach the point where it's worth if for them.
We would obviously have to OK it with Meadow, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be unreasonable to have (brief) mentions of SLP authors' works with other publishers as well - a rising tide lifts all boats and all that.

Amazon UK, as at 10am, Sunday 12th April

Kindle AH new releases

Eternal Caesars #23
Out of The Blue #36
Three Days in Yangon #39

Amazon Oz, as at 7:30pm, Sunday 12 April

Kindle AH new releases
Comedy Through The (P)ages #33
Tales From The Second Great War (Misfit #6) #48
N'oublions Jamais #58
Cometh The Hour #83

Kindle AH bestsellers
Drakes Drum: The Piece of Amiens #86

@Nick Sumner if you write a book on marketing AH, I'll buy it.

Back