• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Kicks and bans

Hendryk

Taken back control yet?
Published by SLP
I have no idea whether the software allows it, but it might be a good idea to set up a gradation of reduced privileges between kicks and bans, the way the other place and most other boards, to my knowledge, do it. As things currently stand, a kick makes it impossible not just to post, as expected, but also to see anything at all. It is not even possible to log out and come back as an unregistered visitor.

Well at the other place, when they ban you, you can log out of your account and access the public forums. I'm surprised it's not possible here.

Well at the other place, when they ban you, you can log out of your account and access the public forums. I'm surprised it's not possible here.
Well I couldn't, because I couldn't log off whilst banned.
Maybe that's because I got banned after the second software change, maybe I was on automatic login, I dunno.

Whichever, it's a finnickity thing and hardly seems worth bothering anybody with.

It's not a default feature available. On the other place, it appears Ian has bought a plugin that can do that; it doesn't really seem worth paying out for it right now, unless we end up giving a lot of kicks and people get really down with the issue.

Having noticed a locked "current kicked and banned members" post in Rules, is it board policy that actions will be noted, but not linked to?

Having noticed a locked "current kicked and banned members" post in Rules, is it board policy that actions will be noted, but not linked to?
Pretty much.
We'd rather avoid any drama or discussion on actions - it rarely seems to end up anywhere good - but we reckon it's necessary to have an up-to-date list of who is kicked or banned at any given time. The double kicking over the weekend didn't occur in any thread so there was minimal notification of it, so we considered this was probably necessary.

Once a kick is over, they'll be deleted. It's not to be a record of shaming or embarrassing people; just a reference as to what's the situation at the moment.

Pretty much.
We'd rather avoid any drama or discussion on actions - it rarely seems to end up anywhere good - but we reckon it's necessary to have an up-to-date list of who is kicked or banned at any given time. The double kicking over the weekend didn't occur in any thread so there was minimal notification of it, so we considered this was probably necessary.

Once a kick is over, they'll be deleted. It's not to be a record of shaming or embarrassing people; just a reference as to what's the situation at the moment.
I think it's quite important. One thing I didn't like about the Other Place was whenever you got banned/kicked, curiosity would force you to look at the Hall of Infamy and read posts (usually from people you've never interacted with before) slagging you off or just generally being quite rude about you, which seemed to be allowed when in reference to someone who's been sanctioned for wrongdoing. We all make mistakes, sometimes it warrants action, but I never liked being called a knobhead by someone I've never seen before.

Would the mods here be willing to use variant kick periods other than just a week? I've said a couple of times that there are situations where kicking someone for a day might be appropriate. And longer than a week is appropriate on occasion. There probably shouldn't be any hard and fast rules about it though, else we end up heading into SV territory, which is frankly madness.

Would the mods here be willing to use variant kick periods other than just a week? I've said a couple of times that there are situations where kicking someone for a day might be appropriate. And longer than a week is appropriate on occasion. There probably shouldn't be any hard and fast rules about it though, else we end up heading into SV territory, which is frankly madness.

Honestly I think too much different kick options is confusing. Easier for everyone involved if a kickable offence is just a week, and stops arguing over "why was @soandso kicked for a week whilst @domsmate only got a day?" ect

Back