• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Independent Ulster following WW2?

Catalunya

How plausible is it that Northern Ireland declares independence from a more war torn United Kingdom. Either because of a worse WW2 or something like Operation Unthinkable going through. Also what would such a nation’a foreign policy look like and how would it treat the Nationalist Irish within their borders?

So low not even Hermes Conrad could limbo under it.

The War played such a central role in the Northern Irish identity (the Protestant, Unionist one anyway) that election candidates included their military rank on the ballot papers well into the 1960s - PM Terence O'Neill was sometimes just referred to as Captain O'Neill.

Unthinkable going ahead would just add to that sense of pride, no matter how it goes. Even a worse war might not cut it since Belfast suffered from air raids itself during the War, suffering the largest single night loss of life outside of London.

I can see it happen if Britain goes Communist/Nazi because of a botched WW2, assuming the rest of Europe is nazi or communist. The US would probably use Ulster as a Forward Base towards Europe, and internally it would be similar to KMT Taiwan with the nationalist Irish being in a mass grave ,prison, or exiled in America. Granted, I don't think the Unionists would want that unless Britain itself was occupied so all this speculation is very unlikely.

I can see it happen if Britain goes Communist/Nazi because of a botched WW2, assuming the rest of Europe is nazi or communist. The US would probably use Ulster as a Forward Base towards Europe, and internally it would be similar to KMT Taiwan with the nationalist Irish being in a mass grave ,prison, or exiled in America. Granted, I don't think the Unionists would want that unless Britain itself was occupied so all this speculation is very unlikely.

Even if all those things happen the US has another ready made forward base on the island of Ireland one they'd be happy to see Northern Ireland incorporated into. Unionists can go to Canada or Rhodesia or Kenya with the Brits.

It can try but it's going to go bust almost immediately, the Province hasn't been financially viable pretty much from the start and has needed economic subvention from GB from the mid 20's.

As the shipyard closes and 10s of thousands unemployed march in the street it's only a matter of time till the edifice collapses.

Not happening unless something happens that causes Britain to be occupied/go through a politically change that Belfast doesn't want to be part of. Then it'll have the problem of a) Sectarian conflict b) Economic strife, so it wouldn't last very long unless another country wants to prop it up.

Back