• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

How would the United Nations and other international organizations handle an ISOT?

Darthseid

Taking a country into the past or another nation into the future is very common in Alternate History. But what would be the actual reaction to an ISOT event happening in modern times. Regardless of what exactly happened, if it happened in modern times than many people would take this as clear evidence of supernatural or divine intervention and would be freaking the hell out.

In my view, there are four main tiers of ISOT disruption to modern times (sending a modern day nation 1,000 years in the past has wildly different consequences).

Tier One: Two or more modern day nations being switched around (i.e. the United Kingdom and Japan switching places geographically)
This event would cause a small global recession before things got back to normal. New trade deals and treaties would have to be drawn up. Since the world is more global and their cultures are already wide-reaching, this change might not be as big of a deal as it might have in the past.

Tier Two: A country no more than 100 years old or 100 years in the future being brought to modern times (i.e. The Soviet Union from 1930 or China from 2090 showing up).
This would cause an economic depression in nearby regions. A war or humanitarian crisis can it result thanks to a country's neighbors either being far stronger or far weaker than they are currently.

Tier Three: A country well over 100 years old or more than 100 years in the future being brought to modern times (i.e. peak Mongol Empire from 1279 appearing or Africa from the year 3000 showing up).

Many economies would collapse all over the place. Diplomacy with the new nation(s) will be very difficult. Global power blocs will be transformed, grow, or deteriorate as the world adjusts to this change over many years.

Tier Four: A completely foreign civilization inhabited by aliens or a new ethnic group being brought to modern times (i.e. a cyberpunk Aztec Empire or a Planet of the Apes nation shows up).

Diplomacy will initially be outright impossible. Major and permanent changes will be made to global geopolitics. Life everywhere could potentially change within a decade.

If a country was brought from the present to the past. Than depending on how many years back it is, it might either lead to small but noticeable changes plus prophecies, or it could lead to that country being considered to be a godlike heaven compared to the Stone-Age tribes that surround them. Trade and resource disruptions on the ISOTed country will also lead to economic hard times.

In general though, if a specific country suddenly out of the blue became much stronger or much weaker than it currently is, what would the international reactions and adjustments be? There is also the nasty habit of ISOTs not following current international borders and you wind up with things like half of the USA being wilderness again or Scotland and Northern Ireland becoming de facto Independent because England is ruled by the Roman Empire. How would border violations be handled in an ISOT scenario?

Well, it's a literal Act of God/God-Like Aliens. We're looking at an initial situation where there's going to be a massive uptick in religious adherence, suicides (increasing in numbers if modern territory and the people there are 'lost'), cults springing up and all sorts.

The UN will almost certainly take a 'this hasn't happened' policy initially. I'd expect the various sans frontières groups to be more active initially. Beyond that it'll depend on what the actual countries involved start deciding.

Back