• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

How the American Civil War created Super Mario Bros

The one that lingers in the memory from Maggie is less pop culture, but still worth pondering: the Sir James Saville Memorial Children's Hospital. Which is horrifying, but a plausible consequence of the press reforms.

Edit: Moreover, the consequences of no Saville exposé bear thinking about. No Top of the Pops/BBC scrutiny, means people like Rolf Harris and Stuart Hall are still respected elder broadcasters. Whither next? While I get the impression that #metoo was American in origin, did the high profile ructions in the UK have any bearing on decisions to speak out in the US? Does Cosby go down without Saville having preceded him? Is House of Cards churning through a pedestrian seventh season, with Frank Underwood pushing British Republic under an Amtrak in order to win the mid-terms?
As you can imagine, this is not something I really wanted to think about while writing it - its narrative purpose was basically "Huh, there is clearly no downside to John Major's crusade against journalism resulting in Murdoch being forced into exile playing tennis with Idi Amin - WHAM".

This article informing me that Nintendo used to be a playing card company, and the fact that they're now making computer games out of cardboard, that feels like something you'd read in a TL where Nintendo just stayed as a playing card company.

Back