• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

How about splitting the Pub between Political and Non-Political?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendryk

Taken back control yet?
Published by SLP
Most of us are familiar with the AH.com layout, with the Chat split between political and non-political subsections. Ian's idea at the time, and I think it was a sensible one, was to separate the light-hearted banter from those topics more likely to generate serious discussion and, every so often, arguments susceptible to require mod attention.

I think doing the same thing here would be nice. What do you folks think?

Can't see the need for it, to be perfectly honest. We aren't that big yet, though we are growing, and honestly Non-Political Chat just seemed to be a bilge of 'Hot Wimmin' pictures and spam threads.

Can't see the need for it, to be perfectly honest. We aren't that big yet, though we are growing, and honestly Non-Political Chat just seemed to be a bilge of 'Hot Wimmin' pictures and spam threads.

Here's a picture of some hot spam thus fulfilling all requirements.

ec1ab7f49330d201fafb7c2734198e0c.jpg

As I see it, the architecture thread, the film thread, the Prince of Whales and other such threads generate a very different kind of content than the various political threads in general, and the all-consuming black hole that is the British politics thread in particular.

There are a total of 15 pages of threads in the Pub area of the forum. A casual scan through demonstrates that perhaps two and a half pages are active during a given month. Splitting them between two subforums would seem to be pointless, given that there are so few threads that the distinction isn't required

And while I wouldn't be as up front about it as @Japhy, I would also have concerns that your access to the 'non-political' Pub threads would still allow the theoretical collection of posts by people for future usage.

And while I wouldn't be as up front about it as @Japhy, I would also have concerns that your access to the 'non-political' Pub threads would still allow the theoretical collection of posts by people for future usage.
Qu'en termes galants ces choses-là sont mises! You are essentially accusing me of being a habitual stalker. I'm fully aware of the scorn and insults that were heaped upon me while I was banned, but for as long as I won't be able to defend myself I would rather not have these wild accusations made to my face.

Obviously, there is a self-interested element to this suggestion. That goes without saying. Being barred from the Pub means that I can't access some of the threads I started myself. It also means that I am, among other things, de facto barred from meet-ups, since they are being discussed in a part of the forum that is off-limits to me. As a published SLP author, and thus one of the people for whom this board was ostensibly set up, I find it frustrating.

Qu'en termes galants ces choses-là sont mises! You are essentially accusing me of being a habitual stalker. I'm fully aware of the scorn and insults that were heaped upon me while I was banned, but for as long as I won't be able to defend myself I would rather not have these wild accusations made to my face.

Obviously, there is a self-interested element to this suggestion. That goes without saying. Being barred from the Pub means that I can't access some of the threads I started myself. It also means that I am, among other things, de facto barred from meet-ups, since they are being discussed in a part of the forum that is off-limits to me. As a published SLP author, and thus one of the people for whom this board was ostensibly set up, I find it frustrating.

Fine, whatever, I retract my last paragraph. But I remain entirely opposed to splitting the Pub up for a single user's benefit, regardless of the user or their situation.

You're not the victim here. What you did was really, and truly messed up as I've tried to tell you elsewhere. Don't paint this as you being unfairly treated. You've abused people's trust, man.

You can't expect to have people helping you out on this if you're not going to earn back that trust.

You're not the victim here. What you did was really, and truly messed up as I've tried to tell you elsewhere. Don't paint this as you being unfairly treated. You've abused people's trust, man.

You can't expect to have people helping you out on this if you're not going to earn back that trust.
This isn't the thread for that.

You guys have had over a month to call me a mentally disturbed creep to your hearts' content. Here I am making a suggestion and I'd like it to be discussed on its own terms.

Honestly we don't have the traffic to merit this sort of thing. Most of the threads only seem to get visited after the 'ol daily dip in the British Politics thread, so seperate rooms for things hurts everything. More importantly, we'd have to set up permissions for subforum visitation, which I understand can be a pain for moderation staff in case there's a leaker.

Honestly we don't have the traffic to merit this sort of thing. Most of the threads only seem to get visited after the 'ol daily dip in the British Politics thread, so seperate rooms for things hurts everything. More importantly, we'd have to set up permissions for subforum visitation, which I understand can be a pain for moderation staff in case there's a leaker.
That's a reasonable argument.

I'm probably in a minority of one in thinking that, but importing the Britpol thread from the other place was a terrible idea. It transplanted overnight all the toxic aspects of AH.com's Chat subculture, the cliquishness, the piss-taking, the posting for posting's sake and more. But that genie can't be put back in the bottle. Ultimately the responsibility lies with whoever thought it would be nice to create catch-all threads for US politics, British politics, etc. half a decade ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back