• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

History Style versus First Person Story

mowque

Not sure if this is the right place, but does anyone know what Sea Lion Press books have a history book format (like most of LTTW and LoRaG)? Those are the ones I prefer and I want to buy a few but not all of them have samples. Thanks if you happen to know one or two.

Thanks!

Not sure if this is the right place, but does anyone know what Sea Lion Press books have a history book format (like most of LTTW and LoRaG)? Those are the ones I prefer and I want to buy a few but not all of them have samples. Thanks if you happen to know one or two.

Thanks!
Offhand, there's Chamberlain Resigns and The People's Flag, as well as a lot of 'list-style' books (e.g. Shuffling the Deck, The Limpid Stream, Presidential, Tippecanoe and Wallace Too) that have a breezier and less rigorous tone than, say, LttW, but are non-narrative and look at events from that sort of distant perspective.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place, but does anyone know what Sea Lion Press books have a history book format (like most of LTTW and LoRaG)?
Half of With Iron and Fire is written in that style, fictional authors and all, the other half consists in stories providing a ground-level perspective on the TL.

Thanks!
The House of Stuart Sequence

All my Sealion books (Tim Venning, 'Eternal Caesars', 'Caesars of the Bosphorus', 'King Henry IX', 'King Charles or King Oliver?', and 'Bonnie King Charlie' ) are written in 'History' style. The 'King Henry IX' and 'King Charles or King Oliver' books were in fact originally written as part of a continuing series, the first following on from my Medieval and Early Tudor Britain books and the second from my English Civil War book, published in print (HB) by Pen and Sword to 2015 - a delay in their moving onwards for several years led to me then trying out the ebook route with Sealion from 2018. History-style narrative is the way that I am used to writing history or CF and I have always stuck to that since I started my Alternative History of Rome CF as a teenager , and I did this for my non-CF history books too. Ditto for assorted unpublished novel style books; I have just not got used to writing in a first-person persona, and haven't done it right from my teens onwards.

It has also helped me to stand back from the action and put in editorial comments, and to switch narrative 'streams' more easily when I am dealing with one situation featuring multiple characters' stories.

Back