• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

George Galloway's Queensway

I'm still giving this a (not scientific) 75% chance of just being clunky-dull bad and a 25% chance of being bat-you-know-what crazy bad.

I’d wager on the 25%, as @Youngmarshall stated he made an infamous tweet recently on what he (and his detractors) would have done if Britain had been occupied by the Nazis and he’d been alive. It feels too close to the tweet to not be somehow connected, it seemed a bizarre analogy at the time to be honest (why not say “If I’d been in Italy” or something similar?) but now it makes a bit more sense if he was writing this at the time.

I’m expecting a poorly veiled “Take THAT” in the medium of AH, a bit like how CJ Sansom’s Finlandised Britain in Dominion was really all about the SNP.

I’d wager on the 25%, as @Youngmarshall stated he made an infamous tweet recently on what he (and his detractors) would have done if Britain had been occupied by the Nazis and he’d been alive. It feels too close to the tweet to not be somehow connected, it seemed a bizarre analogy at the time to be honest (why not say “If I’d been in Italy” or something similar?) but now it makes a bit more sense if he was writing this at the time.

I’m expecting a poorly veiled “Take THAT” in the medium of AH, a bit like how CJ Sansom’s Finlandised Britain in Dominion was really all about the SNP.

God stop making me want a copy

"Wait a minute, this is literally the exact same plot as in Inglourious Basterds, only set in England instead of France. All Galloway has done is to exchange the names of the characters Aldo Raine and Donny Donowitz for Len Kivingstone and Gallows Georgeway. Also, on several occasions, Hitler for some reason finds it necessary to stress that the Holocaust was only ever the Plan B, and he would much have preferred a Jewish state in the Middle East, and, oddly enough, all of these businessmen who inexplicably show up just to make a point about them being very happy to collaborate with the British Quisling regime have names like Goldstein and Perlman and Dreyfus and Gerschwin."

*chefs kiss*

I was rather amused this weekend when I, @Redolegna and @kratostatic visited Arts et Metiers, and Redolegna informed me that one of the reasons Dreyfus had become such a popular name among French Jews was that after the Dreyfus Affair, many French Jews had deliberately changed their name to Dreyfus as a kind if insurance policy, ”the French state tried to fuck over one Dreyfus, and it backfired drammatically and made them all look like twats, they sure as hell aren’t going to try it a second time!”

As I told Redolegna back then, I’ve always found it cool that Julia Louis-Dreyfus actually is from the same French Jewish family as the Dreyfus of ’J’accuse!’ fame. He is like her great-great-uncle or something similar.

I was rather amused this weekend when I, @Redolegna and @kratostatic visited Arts et Metiers, and Redolegna informed me that one of the reasons Dreyfus had become such a popular name among French Jews was that after the Dreyfus Affair, many French Jews had deliberately changed their name to Dreyfus as a kind if insurance policy, ”the French state tried to fuck over one Dreyfus, and it backfired drammatically and made them all look like twats, they sure as hell aren’t going to try it a second time!”

As I told Redolegna back then, I’ve always found it cool that Julia Louis-Dreyfus actually is from the same French Jewish family as the Dreyfus of ’J’accuse!’ fame. He is like her great-great-uncle or something similar.

No, you misunderstood.

It was a common name among French Jews already, especially coming from Alsace.

The novel Gros-Câlin, about a rather lonely man with the eponymous pet python (Big-Hug), asserts, and I've never verified it because the story is too good to be checked, that people from French Guiana adopted the name of the most famous exile to Guiana on those reasons. Considering Guiana was still designated a colony and administered as such, not the craziest of ideas.

Now I've been ruminating over the fact that it's a series, so would the first book end with our heroes ousting the Nazi's or failing miserably?

Would the series end with our dashing heroes establishing a Workers Republic under the kindly gaze of Comrade Joe...or would Galloway's supply of victory gin, Cuban cigar and Cocaine run out before that happens.

It's questions like these that make me want to read this book.

Now I've been ruminating over the fact that it's a series, so would the first book end with our heroes ousting the Nazi's or failing miserably?

Would the series end with our dashing heroes establishing a Workers Republic under the kindly gaze of Comrade Joe...or would Galloway's supply of victory gin, Cuban cigar and Cocaine run out before that happens.

It's questions like these that make me want to read this book.

Compromise: The first book ends with a partisan republic being set up in West London but with the Nazis gearing up for a counter-attack, similar to Free Greendale in Il Postino Pat.

Compromise: The first book ends with a partisan republic being set up in West London but with the Nazis gearing up for a counter-attack, similar to Free Greendale in Il Postino Pat.

Seems likely...although I could see Galloway just ripping off the Warsaw Uprising beat for beat or have a Republic being set up in Pimlico...

Anything is possible with George Galloway.

Seems likely...although I could see Galloway just ripping off the Warsaw Uprising beat for beat or have a Republic being set up in Pimlico...

If this was Turtledove or another "normal" alternate history author I'd be confident in predicting that. My fear is that it'll be a combination of lazy parallelism and axe-grinding politics, and that being a series just means it'll move really slowly. My (small) hope is that as a vanity project, it'll just be upping the ridiculousness more and more.

If this was Turtledove or another "normal" alternate history author I'd be confident in predicting that. My fear is that it'll be a combination of lazy parallelism and axe-grinding politics, and that being a series just means it'll move really slowly. My (small) hope is that as a vanity project, it'll just be upping the ridiculousness more and more.
I'm hoping Galloway does that and we end up with Tom Wintgerham and George Orwell mowing down Nazis left and right like it's the finale of a John Woo movie.

At the very least I want a Labour Politician to appear with an eyepatch (someone like Atlee or Bevan).
Long live the Burgandian Guards!
Geroge Galloway's final form will be ripping off Ealing Studio Comedies. I can't wait for the spin off in which Ralph Miliband and Alan Turing must fight the Evil Capitalists who want to take away there pure white suit that can repel any dust.

Back