• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Friendly Ghost's flags etc

Welcome to the thread where I'll post flags and, maybe, other things. Most often this will be in response to requests, though I might occasionally post something just for fun...

Unless otherwise stated, all image(s) are created by me (FriendlyGhost) using paint.net and Inkscape. Free for use on this site (Sea Lion Press forums) as long as you credit me (@ my username is fine). Use on other sites is also permitted as long as you PM me here to let me know.

Sources for parts of images will be listed with those images.

First off, some flags for @Venocara
Venocara said:
For my new timeline <to be announced>, could I please ask for three flags:
  • A flag for a Fascist Russian republic involving the Naval Ensign of Russia with the black-gold-white tricolour as a canton, a Russian engle in the centre and the St. Peter's cross.. somewhere
  • A Prussian flag with the eagle from the Free State flag, only with a crown on his head and a sword and orb in his hands
  • The Arabian flag that I mentioned earlier [a republican Saudi Arabia run by people even more fundamentalist.], maybe involving the Ikhwan flag?
1. Here's two possible flags for the Fascist Russian republic. One has St. Peter's cross in the shield on the eagle, the other retains the original shield and has the cross above.
Fascist_Rus_rep_cross_in_shield_for_Venocara_FG.pngFascist_Rus_rep_cross_above_eagle_for_Venocara_FG.png (click thumbnails for full-size (900x600) images)

2. Sorry, I don't think I can manage adding the crown, sword and orb.

3. I decided that the 'even more fundamentalist' Arab republic would revert to the use of a black flag citing its use by the prophet (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_flags#Early_Islam). So a black flag with the shahada seemed the most likely, but with something militant added, as in the OTL Saudi flag and the Ikhwan flag you linked which have a scimitar. So I put on two scimitars...
Strict_Arab_republic_for_Venocara__FG.png (again, click the thumbnail for the full-size (900x550) image)

The shahada was copied from the wikipedia article.
The scimitars were adapted (resized/rotated) from: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Nejd_(1921).svg

Hope these are okay.

Last edited:
@Venocara The flags you asked for:
Bavaria: Bavaria_SSR__FG.png, Hanover: Hanover_SSR__FG.png,
Prussia: Prussia_SSR__FG.png, Saxony: Saxony_SSR__FG.png,
Swabia: Swabia_SSR__FG.png, Westphalia: Westphalia_SSR__FG.png.
(click the thumbnails for the full-size versions)
They all use the same style as OTL SSRs - the star, hammer and sickle on red, with a field lower in the flag representing the region. The colours in the lower fields are taken from the OTL flags of the regions/kingdoms - for Swabia, from the Coat of Arms.

Hope they're what you need.

@Venocara - some more flags for you, as requested.
  • A flag for an semi-democratic independent Kingdom of La Plata that acts like a United States of the south and is similarly expansionist (although please, no suns or stars)
  • A flag for an aggressively expansionist Axis Argentina, closer to Germany than Italy (similarly, no suns, stars or swastikas please)
Kingdom of La Plata
This takes inspiration from the 'Flag of the Federal League aka Artiga's Flag' (see here: https://fotw.info/flags/xl_arti.html)
I decided to increase the number of blue/white stripes from three to nine, similar to the thirteen stripes on the OTL USA flag. I picked nine because it looked okay on the flag. If there's a better number based on your alt-history, I can change that.
There are three variants of what's on the red stripe. One is a simple addition of white stripes, just to break up the solid stripe of red. The second adds a crown as a sign of the kingdom. The third has six crowns on it - again, this number could be changed to match something in your alt-history.
1. Kingdom of La Plata - no crowns __FG.png 2. Kingdom of La Plata - single crown __FG.png 3. Kingdom of La Plata - six crowns __FG.png

Axis Argentina
For this, I decided that the flag could be based on the OTL Argentine flag, but with some sort of sharp-edged symbol, preferably with a tenuous historical / quasi-mystical significance, like the swastika had for the Nazis. So I went with a couple of the symbols from the thousands of geoglyphs in the Atacama desert. The 'stepped rhombus' is very common (see this link, for example, with two right next to a cross which even looks like the German cross) so I was just going to go with that. Then I found another symbol (link). It jumped out as something which could take the place of the swastika on a 'war flag' sort of thing, so that's what I did. I still liked the stepped rhombus so I put that it too, but it might be too much, so I've done you a version without it as well. Lastly is a version without that jagged glyph, but the stepped rhombus in the circle instead. Take your pick...;)
1. Axis Argentina _ FG.png 2. Axis Argentina _ no rhombus _ FG.png 3. Axis Argentina _ rhombus in circle _ FG.png

As always, click the thumbnails for the full-size versions. The KoLP ones are 800x450; the AxisA ones are bigger, 1440x900.

@Venocara - some more flags for you, as requested.

Kingdom of La Plata
This takes inspiration from the 'Flag of the Federal League aka Artiga's Flag' (see here: https://fotw.info/flags/xl_arti.html)
I decided to increase the number of blue/white stripes from three to nine, similar to the thirteen stripes on the OTL USA flag. I picked nine because it looked okay on the flag. If there's a better number based on your alt-history, I can change that.
There are three variants of what's on the red stripe. One is a simple addition of white stripes, just to break up the solid stripe of red. The second adds a crown as a sign of the kingdom. The third has six crowns on it - again, this number could be changed to match something in your alt-history.
1. View attachment 22258 2. View attachment 22259 3. View attachment 22260

Axis Argentina
For this, I decided that the flag could be based on the OTL Argentine flag, but with some sort of sharp-edged symbol, preferably with a tenuous historical / quasi-mystical significance, like the swastika had for the Nazis. So I went with a couple of the symbols from the thousands of geoglyphs in the Atacama desert. The 'stepped rhombus' is very common (see this link, for example, with two right next to a cross which even looks like the German cross) so I was just going to go with that. Then I found another symbol (link). It jumped out as something which could take the place of the swastika on a 'war flag' sort of thing, so that's what I did. I still liked the stepped rhombus so I put that it too, but it might be too much, so I've done you a version without it as well. Lastly is a version without that jagged glyph, but the stepped rhombus in the circle instead. Take your pick...;)
1. View attachment 22262 2. View attachment 22263 3. View attachment 22264

As always, click the thumbnails for the full-size versions. The KoLP ones are 800x450; the AxisA ones are bigger, 1440x900.

The only word that I can use to describe these is incredible. Much better than I could have ever imagined, and much more creative as well, especially with the idea of the geoglyphs. Thank you so very much for creating these.

Back