• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

For King & Country: An immersive theatre experience based on Operation Sea Lion

At the end of a successful first week, I'm pleased to report @Mumby (and family) and @Lord Roem came down in addition to @Uhura's Mazda's visit on Wednesday. They seemed to have fun and the show has really developed nicely. It's still in beta testing mode, really, with new stuff being tried out each night. But it's great fun and I continue to recommend it.

(Audience creativity award so far goes to the man who decided to arrest Edward VIII and order him to give a broadcast ordering the Buxton British Army to surrender.)

At the end of a successful first week, I'm pleased to report @Mumby (and family) and @Lord Roem came down in addition to @Uhura's Mazda's visit on Wednesday. They seemed to have fun and the show has really developed nicely. It's still in beta testing mode, really, with new stuff being tried out each night. But it's great fun and I continue to recommend it.

(Audience creativity award so far goes to the man who decided to arrest Edward VIII and order him to give a broadcast ordering the Buxton British Army to surrender.)

when we were talking about 'what to do with dlg' i thought that was where ed was going with it.

I hate to be nerdy - and if this is confidential or something then no worries - but I'm curious how you track and react to audience requirements as the play progresses.

Do you have something as proscriptive as a very detailed flowchart or spreadsheet that guides you to something ("Has Lloyd-George Surrendered, if Yes go to Play End, if No go to Nuclear Armageddon") or is it more like a more reactive manner based on certain cues?

I hate to be nerdy - and if this is confidential or something then no worries - but I'm curious how you track and react to audience requirements as the play progresses.

Do you have something as proscriptive as a very detailed flowchart or spreadsheet that guides you to something ("Has Lloyd-George Surrendered, if Yes go to Play End, if No go to Nuclear Armageddon") or is it more like a more reactive manner based on certain cues?
There's a guy upstairs basically working as the DM (in D&D terminology). He is a historian too so just reacts however he feels would be realistic. There is obviously a structure but there's lots of blank space within it, to enable a unique experience, particularly for imaginative audiences.

There's a guy upstairs basically working as the DM (in D&D terminology). He is a historian too so just reacts however he feels would be realistic. There is obviously a structure but there's lots of blank space within it, to enable a unique experience, particularly for imaginative audiences.
This sounds like it could potentially be adapted as a general model that could be applied to other AH scenarios in future, though presumably it would have to focus on mass-interest ones (and likely military based scenarios).

@Milo enjoyed himself last night and I'm glad the AH within the show passed muster, at least enough not to distract him - we had a good chat afterwards about the parts of the show that don't really work as 'hard AH' but I think he agreed that nothing that occurs is presented as a 'because we said so' ASB setup, something plausible to explain it has at least been attempted.

Three shows left: tonight, and the weekend.

@Milo enjoyed himself last night and I'm glad the AH within the show passed muster, at least enough not to distract him - we had a good chat afterwards about the parts of the show that don't really work as 'hard AH' but I think he agreed that nothing that occurs is presented as a 'because we said so' ASB setup, something plausible to explain it has at least been attempted.

Three shows left: tonight, and the weekend.
I must concur , a thoroughly enjoyable event. You can tell there's been a lot of effort put in by the cast and those behind the scenes. It was the first time I've ever done a sort of interactive play, and heartily recommend it to anyone. So if your in London ,give it a shot.

In terms of AH, I think most properties need to balance between the realistic and the fun aspect especially if your want to work both layman and your sealion members. At the end day the rule of cool needs to win out for the most part. King and Country does it quite well as although there's a few soft elements they serve the story and raise the stakes. I think it's definitely the sort of media that can get someone into Alt-History as a genre.

As I told Tom, I had great fun at tonight's show and would really love to do it again. I also can't believe how our performance ended. Some people have really wacky ideas (though I will say no more on this). Perhaps next time I'll book a hotel room so I can spend longer afterwards rather than having to rush for my train.

If anyone who hasn't been can, I heartily recommend that you do go.

Back