• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

First Chapters: The Darling Buds Express

Probably my favourite character-driven work of the entire SLP catalogue. The AH is incidental, the worldbuilding subtle but authentic, and the story understatedly human.

Probably my favourite character-driven work of the entire SLP catalogue. The AH is incidental, the worldbuilding subtle but authentic, and the story understatedly human.
I couldn't agree more.

@Ed Costello has a real talent for character work. Maybe it's the fact that many TLs in the traditional sense are focussed on male characters,* but I find Ed particularly skilled at writing his female characters.

Now, somebody could very well say that a human is a human, and it should't be any different to write a female character. Well, I have two possible answers. Either it is different, and many AH writers fail to grasp it, or it's not, but many AH writers fail to grasp that fact. I suspect that AH is a far more male dominated writing space than most, and assume that this fact has an impact, but I could be talking through my hat.

*monarchies, battles, wars, politics, have all been generally male dominated, so exploring how they might be different often concentrates on the males who dominated their TL, or could have done, had things been different.

Back