• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Feature requests

Would it be possible to get a "Go to Last Read" style button on forum threads? It's how I keep track of affairs on all the forums I frequent now - it not being here leaves me somewhat befuddled when navigating.

Would it be possible to get a "Go to Last Read" style button on forum threads? It's how I keep track of affairs on all the forums I frequent now - it not being here leaves me somewhat befuddled when navigating.

I think the 'Jump to New' button does that, doesn't it?

It may be a bit obscure, but is it possible to have different likes for On Topic and Off-Topic boards?

My reasoning is that likes are very useful feedback for on-topic stuff (ie writing, scenarios and PODs, associated graphics, reviews, etc), but are swamped by Off-Topic likes. You can get far more likes for a couple of acerbic Chat posts than for writing updates that take hours to achieve.

I'm not suggesting finding a way of stopping likes for Chat (it's a useful feedback feature for the community there), but it's a very different feedback, and, as said, it swamps the signal of likes for on-topic stuff.

It may be a bit obscure, but is it possible to have different likes for On Topic and Off-Topic boards?

My reasoning is that likes are very useful feedback for on-topic stuff (ie writing, scenarios and PODs, associated graphics, reviews, etc), but are swamped by Off-Topic likes. You can get far more likes for a couple of acerbic Chat posts than for writing updates that take hours to achieve.

I'm not suggesting finding a way of stopping likes for Chat (it's a useful feedback feature for the community there), but it's a very different feedback, and, as said, it swamps the signal of likes for on-topic stuff.
Some Googling suggests it's not possible. There are things that let you like things in different ways, but all posts would get them - eg if we put buttons that said 'This is a great Chat post' and 'This is a great piece of content', they would appear on all posts regardless of section.

We could go the other way and make five kinds of like (eg 'Funny', 'Agreed', 'Applause', 'Great writing', and 'Wow' or something) but I think things could get a bit crowded if we go down that route.

Some Googling suggests it's not possible. There are things that let you like things in different ways, but all posts would get them - eg if we put buttons that said 'This is a great Chat post' and 'This is a great piece of content', they would appear on all posts regardless of section.

We could go the other way and make five kinds of like (eg 'Funny', 'Agreed', 'Applause', 'Great writing', and 'Wow' or something) but I think things could get a bit crowded if we go down that route.
Ah well, thanks for trying.

It may be worth doing the "Content like" and "Chat like" as separate likes, but it also adds a complication, so no worries.

SV does stuff like that with turning off Funny ratings in their chat, and some other stuff, but they have an actual team writing and deploying code, and IIRC Xon still hates stuff like that.

You can never have too many reacts!

2018-08-11.png

Okay, maybe you can. (That's from Sporthoopla. In order that's Like, Dislike, Facepalm, Chill, Lol, Winner, "I love you, man", "Rainbow"[1], Bullshit and "Cake Reward". They also have a "Useful" one on some boards)

[1]Used to be called "Gaaaaaay!" until someone complained.

So, I don't know if this would work as a good idea or not but has there been any thought to having one of those chat box things on the home page of the forum?

Back