• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Elizabeth I's offer from the Moroccan Sultan

Well, that's my AH dreams of revenge for the Armada down the drain.

I suppose in a way it demonstrates the lack of knowledge a lot of people have about African history as compared to European - a WI this chap helped another European power take a European power type thing, while ignoring pretty much everything about him - a real Prester John, I suppose.

The worst thing about it is that the Borno Empire might as well be Space-Filling-Empire #256 for all I know about them.

Excellent article @Youngmarshall , presumably this ties in with the research you did for your recent TLIAW.

The worst thing about it is that the Borno Empire might as well be Space-Filling-Empire #256 for all I know about them.
The remarkable thing about the Bornu Empire (or Kanem-Bornu) is that it lasted for five hundred years (and was founded as a kingdom long before that, around the time of the Viking invasions of England). Quite impressive continuity. In fact a remnant of a remnant still exists as a traditional monarchy within Nigeria: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borno_Emirate

I think part of the problem with West African history is that most of the cities just aren't well known to a Western audience - except Timbuctoo obviously, but half the people who know that name think it's a fictional El Dorado or something.

Back