• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Max's election maps and assorted others

Noob question, but were there any particular reasons for the Liberal strength in Goteburg?

The long answer is that, while Stockholm (and by extension the country) was traditionally run by the nobility and their conservative political allies, Gothenburg was a city dominated by merchants and industrialists, who viewed themselves in opposition to the nobles and had interests that collided with theirs, so they supported the free-trader opposition camp that became the Liberals. This applied both on the parliamentary level and in the city council, where they were always either in control or the main opposition. The revival under Ohlin in the 40s/50s brought the middle classes of both cities into the Liberal fold, and because the Gothenburg party was starting from a higher position, they kept going longer.

France 1958 (PCF)
Time for the first instalment in what will probably be a series, because there's no way I'm just going to let a massive 1958 spreadsheet sit idle after only being used for one map.

With some 19% of the vote, the French Communist Party (Parti communiste français, PCF) was technically the largest designation in the first round of the 1958 elections. However, this is an unhelpful metric since the PCF was also the only party that stood candidates in every metropolitan seat - the Gaullists came close, but were still technically divided into the UNR (the main, right-wing organisation led by Debré, Pompidou and the gang) and the CRR (a supposedly left-wing, trade-union-based organisation that basically served as de Gaulle's "Democrats for Nixon" equivalent).

In either case, their first-round voteshare wouldn't help them much, because in spite of Hungary 1956, they continued to follow the Soviet line. The result was that no other party would touch them with a barge pole, and in the second round they made almost no gains and won only ten seats - making them too small for group status in the new Assembly. It seemed a change was needed, and at the 1959 party congress the delegates voted for a new popular front with the SFIO and other left-of-centre parties against what they called "state monopoly capitalism". They ended up making moderate gains in 1962, but the SFIO were running past them, and the PCF would play second fiddle in every left-wing government under the Fifth Republic.

val-fr-1958-pcf.png

As we can see, the PCF essentially had three strongholds (or four, depending on how you slice it). Firstly, a belt stretching from Paris to the Belgian border, taking in the working-class banlieues of the Parisian region, the regional towns of Picardy and Champagne, and the mining basin in Nord-Pas-de-Calais. Briey-Longwy forms sort of an eastern outlier of this, being another region dominated by mining and heavy industry, while the dockers and shipbuilders of Le Havre anchor (pun intended) its western end. Second and third were the north slopes of the Central Massif and the Mediterranean coast, both of which have left-wing traditions going back at least to the Revolution. The fourth, smaller, stronghold, was formed by central Brittany.

I'm not sure what's more peak 'remnants of the Belle Epoque' Vienna there.

The Bürgerliche Demokraten Partei, the two different groups of German nationalists or the fact that there's both a Checkoslovak and a Jewish nation party.

I'm not sure what's more peak 'remnants of the Belle Epoque' Vienna there.

The Bürgerliche Demokraten Partei, the two different groups of German nationalists or the fact that there's both a Checkoslovak and a Jewish nation party.
Oh, the BDs were also part of the German nationalist bloc.

I’m honestly a bit sad the constituencies they drew up for Bohemia, Moravia, South Tyrol, Lower Styria and what they call “additional territories” never actually voted, it would’ve been very interesting. Can’t see any of them being very left-wing though.

Karl - of course - argued as he revoked his abdication minutes before crossing the Swiss border that these elections could not be called legitimate or democratic as foreigners, namely citizens of the German Republic, had been allowed to vote in them.

I'd actually been thinking of finally doing a proper Austrian series before our snappy, so mind if I use the base of that for the Vienna inset?

Karl - of course - argued as he revoked his abdication minutes before crossing the Swiss border that these elections could not be called legitimate or democratic as foreigners, namely citizens of the German Republic, had been allowed to vote in them.

I'd actually been thinking of finally doing a proper Austrian series before our snappy, so mind if I use the base of that for the Vienna inset?
I can send you the PDN over the Book of Faces if you like.

Is it weird that I sort of like it and half-wish we could have a terroir or some such based map still in effect?

I like how Normandy is halfway sensible or Provence could use some work but things are basically fine, and then you look at the utter mess of Picardie or Lorraine or the Ardennes and my brain reboots into a hard 'nope'.

Also what the hell is happening with that massive Vendée?

Back