• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Max's election maps and assorted others

I talked to @Heat a while ago about the possibility of mapping the State Duma elections in the Russian Empire, and well, today I found the electoral law in a source citation on the Russian Wikipedia. Turns out it's quite a simple affair, because the elections were held in the individual guberniyas (provinces), which were for the most part not subdivided into constituencies. The exception was that the 20 principal cities of the empire formed separate constituencies, which used a distinct voting method from the "rural" constituencies. Both, however, were indirect - there was a highly conservative four-class franchise that looked quite a lot like something @Ciclavex might use in his TL. The following groups were entitled to choose electors:

Oh hell, this has just made me flashback to one electoral passage in Anna Karenina where obviously Seven Blind Mice have been telling the Russians about democracy and the result is so massively fucked up.

Helsingborg 2018
Helsingborg, in spite of a great part of its surface area turning yellow on the map, had a very dull election. The Alliance stayed put, the Social Democrats and the Left stayed put, the only significant change was that SD gained three seats off the Greens. Oh, and like a lot of other places, they abolished the council constituencies.

val-2018-hbg.png

Mapping the Tokyo Metro?
Indeed, and including station accessibility - something I've noticed no existing map seems to have. The Japanese do put up meticulous information, detailing what lifts do and don't exist, the layout of the station corridors, and whether it fulfills something they call "One-Route" (which basically means barrier-free access from ground to platform). They just put it on the individual station pages and (in the case of the Toei) lists for each line, but not in map form.

I assume those stations are quite close together on the ground, hence the slightly odd lack of connection between the red and blue lines there?

I assume those stations are quite close together on the ground, hence the slightly odd lack of connection between the red and blue lines there?
that is an at most 4km2 area.

I do find it amusing that the Metro only has one line that stops at tokyo station, despite being the terminus of the shinkansen.

Indeed, and including station accessibility - something I've noticed no existing map seems to have. The Japanese do put up meticulous information, detailing what lifts do and don't exist, the layout of the station corridors, and whether it fulfills something they call "One-Route" (which basically means barrier-free access from ground to platform). They just put it on the individual station pages and (in the case of the Toei) lists for each line, but not in map form.
One route would probably be the most important thing to me as thanks to the god knows how many different rail companies that operate in tokyo you do end up tapping in and out constantly.

No, it’s symptomatic of Tokyo’s (and Japan’s) biggest operational problem. The red (Marunouchi) and blue (Mita) lines are run by different companies, the former being run by Tokyo Metro KK (a private company) and the latter by the Metropolitan Bureau of Transportation (Toei for short; owned by the city government). The two sides have a cordial but pretty questionable relationship - interchange stations are often jointly operated, but fare systems are strictly separate (albeit a shared fare card system that makes things easier to keep track of for the traveller), and Tokyo Metro blocks any and all attempts to merge the system because Toei is in a fuckton of debt after building a huge circle line (the Ōedo line) around the entire city at the height of the property bubble in the early 90s.

Last edited:
No, it’s symptomatic of Tokyo’s (and Japan’s) biggest operational problem. The red (Marunouchi) and blue (Mita) lines are run by different companies, the former being run by Tokyo Metro KK (a private company) and the latter by the Metropolitan Bureau of Transportation (Toei for short; owned by the city government). The two sides have a cordial but pretty questionable relationship - interchange stations are often jointly operated, but fare systems are strictly separate (albeit a shared fare card system that makes things easier to keep track of for the traveller), and Tokyo Metro blocks any and all attempts to merge the system because Toei is in a fuckton of debt after building a huge circle line (the Ōeno line) around the entire city at the height of the property bubble in the early 90s.
Its a japan wide problem, at least based on my experience in Kyoto

Just counted 32 different train companies and operators in the Tokyo Metropolitan area.

Really the amazing thing is that they all turn a profit, suburban rail isn’t exactly a cash cow.
Japan really is the perfect place for trains. Though navigating around can be a plain when the are some stations which are near each other operated by completely different companies, but Have the exact same name. Eg, Asakusa or ochanomizu (which was where my first year masters project was based)

Well as long as you stay on the metro service you should be fi... oooh look at those through services wonder where they go.
The Asakusa line literally has through services from Narita Airport to the tip of the Miura Peninsula in southeast Kanagawa. Fukutoshin line trains run to Yokohama on Tokyu track, then onto the Minatomirai line of the Yokohama metro and to its outermost terminus. Really stretching the definition of "line" here if you ask me.

Last edited:
Back