• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Max's election maps and assorted others

It's very dark shades all around, isn't it?
giphy.webp

I always mix up Capetown with Johannesburg in these contexts. It was the latter one wasn’t it where the Democratic Alliance and the Economic Freedom Fights had formed a coalition just to get rid of a notoriously corrupt local ANC, wasn’t it?

I always mix up Capetown with Johannesburg in these contexts. It was the latter one wasn’t it where the Democratic Alliance and the Economic Freedom Fights had formed a coalition just to get rid of a notoriously corrupt local ANC, wasn’t it?
I think so - certainly nothing of the sort has ever happened in Cape Town. The ANC is far too squeezed there to face serious internal opposition.

I... I don't see anything here?
Max was doing a Meadow-style 'well, yes' wordless post, however I think he forgot that while he's been talking about the reasons for Cape Town being all dark shades with Alex and me, he hadn't mentioned it on here.

Basically - racially segregated areas combined with racial bloc vote politics. Not unlike what one sees in the US, such as (say) the Sioux in North Dakota being dark blue surrounded by dark red.

1540758344327.png

Max was doing a Meadow-style 'well, yes' wordless post, however I think he forgot that while he's been talking about the reasons for Cape Town being all dark shades with Alex and me, he hadn't mentioned it on here.
No, there's meant to be that gif of a black child saying "that's racist" - I was making a "dark shades" pun.

Ah, yes! The famous infamous fluke election of 1998!

The centre-right parties won literally everywhere. However, since these are Swedish centre-right parties we're talking about, it took us less than three months before the government collapsed from within owing to internal disagreements. A new election was held in December, and the Social Democrats returned to normal figures in the polls and the seats.

Because the series of events were so embarrassing to everyone involved, both on the left and on the right, we've basically all agreed never to talk about it, and pretend like it never happened.

Sverige 2018 (Weimar)
val-2018-weimar.png

The Weimar map is back, folks. Those of you who remember the last one and/or know the Weimar electoral system by heart (hi @OwenM) can skip the writeup, but as a refresher for the rest of you:
- The country is divided into constituencies and groups of constituencies. For the most part, the constituencies match the existing ones, but I've taken the liberty of splitting Östergötland in half and Stockholm County in three - for the 2014 map I also split Gothenburg in half and Stockholm in three, and in theory I'd still quite like to do that, but this felt good enough.
- In each constituency, a raw 15,000 votes (60,000 in the original, but half the constituencies would have no seats if I set the bar that high here) equals one seat, exactly 15,000, no rounding up whatsoever (except in Gotland, because it felt like taking the piss to leave it unrepresented). With 15,000 votes per seat discounted, each remainder of 7,500 votes is transferred up to the group level.
- For the groups, the transferred remainders are collated, and the same rules apply - if the remainders add up to 15,000, a seat is awarded on the group level, if not, then (as all of them are by definition above 7,500), the remainder is transferred up to national level. So are any remainders that qualify after seats have been awarded. The groups of three constituencies clearly work best for this, but I felt like drawing natural divisions was more important than equality, so these groups are a tiny bit dysfunctional in places.
- At the national level, the remainders from the group level are collated and seats distributed. Remainders from that level don't matter.
- The above means that the size of the legislature fluctuates depending on turnout, and whereas my 2014 calculation gave 352 seats, the number increased to 374 this year because of the turnout boost. There wasn't a whole universe of change beyond that, but the quotas can be unforgiving toward smaller parties, and the Greens in particular took an even worse hit, winning only 10 seats.
- There's no threshold at play here, so any party that gets 15,000 votes can get a seat if it's concentrated enough. But unlike in 2014, where FI got in with five seats, no additional parties were able to meet that threshold although both FI and AfS received more than 15,000 votes overall.

As with so many things, the Weimar Germany's (and Czechoslovakia's [1]) electoral systems are all the fault of the Belgians.

By the way, which quota did you use? Hare? Hagenbach-Bischoff ?

[1] Although it was a bit saner than this, but not by much.

Back