• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Election maps and assorted others

msmp

Insert Pine Tree Flag Here
Pronouns
he/him/his
For some reason, whenever I try and open your maps on a larger screen, they come up with a black instead of white background, making the text unreadable. Is that happening to anyone else, or is this just a "my computer is cursed" thing?
Happens to me too.
If you're using Chrome, I think it does that with most forum-based images that have transparent backgrounds. I have to download the image and open it in Preview (on a mac) to read the enlarged text.

Ares96

Heir to the Halibut Millions
Published by SLP
Pronouns
he/him
Yes, this is the nature of SVG files. What I do is copy and paste them into Paint.Net so the transparency comes back.
I’ve almost never drawn an SVG, I just don’t tend to bother filling in the background.

Of course, part of it is that this thread isn’t meant to be where the maps go on display - they’re all meant to go up on the DA, I’m just incredibly lazy about writeups.

Ares96

Published by SLP
Pronouns
he/him
I realise that Toowoomba is almost completely impossible to make out, but I want to be consistent with the insets, and if I had one for Toowoomba I'd have to add one for Townsville too, which I don't have a closer map of. So they both go without.

Queensland 1977 and 1980

val-au-qld-1977.png val-au-qld-1980.png

Last edited:

Ares96

Published by SLP
Pronouns
he/him
I know the reason (the same as Broken Hill in NSW, re: mining communities), but I love that both of the big eastern states have One Random City out on their western border.
Charters Towers was a city for much the same reason, though its location is obviously much less eye-catching.

Fun fact: Mount Isa was (supposedly) also the largest city in the world by surface area when it was incorporated, being more than three times as large (43,000 km2 vs 14,000 km2) as former record-holder Kiruna.

msmp

Insert Pine Tree Flag Here
Pronouns
he/him/his
Charters Towers was a city for much the same reason, though its location is obviously much less eye-catching.

Fun fact: Mount Isa was (supposedly) also the largest city in the world by surface area when it was incorporated, being more than three times as large (43,000 km2 vs 14,000 km2) as former record-holder Kiruna.
I can believe it. Australia has set quite a few records for size when it comes to subdivisions. At one point it had the largest single-member district or electoral area in the world, the Division of Kalgoorlie in Western Australia; when it was divided in the post-2010 redistribution, it lost the crown to the riding of Nunavut in Canada. If we count multi-member districts, though, Western Australia is still the largest in the world (for the Senate).