• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Max's election maps and assorted others

Poland 1928
And here's 1928.

It is interesting to note that the Senate seems to have consistently overrepresented the biggest party - and while d'Hondt is obviously d'Hondt, it's not like the constituencies were much bigger on average for the Sejm.

And no, your eyes do not deceive you, that is in fact twelve parties winning constituencies.

val-pl-1928.png

Last edited:
And here's 1928. The Senate shades may be a while, but should look similar enough to the Sejm map in terms of colour. It is interesting to note that the Senate seems to have consistently overrepresented the biggest party - and while d'Hondt is obviously d'Hondt, it's not like the constituencies were much bigger on average for the Sejm.

And no, your eyes do not deceive you, that is in fact twelve parties winning constituencies.

The joys of Eastern European interwar democracy

kommuner-1917-stor.png

Two notes on Dalarna:
- Not much actually changed there in 1952. I believe I counted six municipalities abolished in or around the first reform, and nearly all of those were in the southeastern half of the county. This is going to be the norm for the rest of the country, which should hopefully make mapping the north slightly less of a slog - unfortunately, it will also make it a fair bit less fun.
- We're also now entering the land of no hundreds. Only the red bit at the southeast corner of Dalarna (Folkare) was actually a hundred in name, and the rest of the county was divided into ad-hoc tingslag, originally consisting of one or two parishes each but consolidated in the early 1900s into what you see on this map. They were further consolidated in the 40s, as were the hundred-based tingslag of southern Sweden, and if I make a variant of this showing the situation before/after the 1952 reform, I'm probably going to show what those ended up looking like.

Back to the 1917 map, I suppose. Starting from the beginning now that I can.

val-1917-kommuner.png

Two problems going forward: firstly, the file is approaching one megabyte in size, which is pretty extraordinary for a PNG map without border antialiasing, and secondly, I'm going to have to put in a lot of lines to accommodate all those inland constituencies in Bergslagen. There's no way that comes out looking good.

Back