• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Max's election maps and assorted others

Back to your regularly-scheduled programming, here's Södermanland:

kommuner-1917-stor.png

Note that Strängnäs and Mariefred were both discontiguous. Yes, really. They'd stay that way until 1950 and 1952, respectively. Meanwhile, Eskilstuna had already incorporated its hinterlands in 1907, making it one of the biggest cities by surface area in southern Sweden.

That really is a stark geographic divide.

That'd be the Reconquista for you. There's an increasing body of literature on how the patterns of settlement and conquest during the Reconquista basically created a massive case of path-dependency in terms of economic development, literacy and political affiliation down the line. TL;DR the conquest of north-central Spain and Portugal (so roughly all the way to the Tajo/Tejo) was very slow and subject to raids from the Muslims, so medieval kings had to encourage colonisation by Christians and conversion through granting generous rights to common people and created a land of small land-owners.

South of the Tagus, because the conquest was essentially done in a period of less than a century, conquest was driven by the nobility and military orders, and as a result, much of the land ended up in the hands of the nobility, as a way for the medieval monarchs to reward their support, especially as the Muslim threat had been vanquished after 1212. This created a greater contrast between absent landlords and a landless rural proletariat.

This is a good paper on that.

FB1.png

Last edited:
I am utterly dreading when I eventually reach the Highlands with my one.
The North is going to end up, er, a bit odd. Not least because the basemaps I’m drawing this from only go up as far as Gävleborg, and the basemaps Wikipedia has for points north aren’t significantly bigger than this is turning out. I may just end up doing it as a smaller-scale inset.

Really cool! I have to ask, though, what were the differences between both PSL?
I don't know the historical details (paging @Heat), but PSL "Piast" leaned to the centre-right and tended to get along alright with the less right-wing, more Christian-democratic elements of the Chjena, while PSL "Wyzwolenie" was much more radical, and would form one of the two cornerstones of the Centrolew anti-Sanation coalition alongside the PPS.

Back