• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Max's election maps and assorted others

Quebec 1956/1960
Canada has just always been like that hasn't it.
Well this is a series of realigning elections, not anything representative of what Quebec tended to be like. The Liberals had ruled essentially a one-party state since 1897, when the Tories alienated the entire province over the Manitoba Schools Question, and the UN would rule until... well, funny I should say that.

Quebec 1956 and 1960
val-ca-qc-1956.png
val-ca-qc-1960.png

Quebec 1962/1966/1970
Quebec 1962, 1966 and 1970
val-ca-qc-1962.png
val-ca-qc-1966.pngval-ca-qc-1970.png

These were the last elections held with the old provincial ridings, and the 1966 election sort of hints at why - the Liberals carried the popular vote by more than a 6% margin, but still fell behind in seats because so much of their vote was in Montreal. And this was after they'd added ten ridings to suburban Montreal to compensate for the woeful malapportionment there. In 1962, while the average rural riding had (very roughly) fifteen to twenty thousand voters, Jacques-Cartier had around eighty thousand and Laval more than a hundred thousand.

Rather fewer lessons to be learned from 1970, obviously - everything sort of went crazy. It is worth noting that the PQ were a solid second in the popular vote, but because of the aforementioned malapportionment, both the UN and créditistes (oh hi there @Uhura's Mazda) got more seats.

It's hard to overstate just how massive the redistribution in 1972 was, so that one may take some time for me to do.

Last edited:
The Irish Parliament had been subordinated to the English Parliament for most of its existence, but in 1782, a loose alliance of MPs led by Henry Grattan (dubbed the Patriot Party) were able to secure full home rule for the island
They also limited the Parliament to an eight year term.
Yes, before then, you normally just had by-elections unless there was a new Monarch.

Any analysis of the distribution of UN vote in 1976?
It’s actually kind of fascinating, because a lot of it was made up of conservative anglophones in West Montreal and along the Ontario border. Those had been Conservative voters before the 1930s realignment, but when Duplessis came along and started banging on about French Catholic national identity, they found themselves without a natural party. They voted Liberal for most of the rest of the 20th century, but my guess is that Bourassa alienated them by pursuing soft-nationalist policies like declaring French the sole official language. And I mean, they were hardly going to vote for the PQ in response to that.

They continued to have a chip on their shoulder about Bourassa when he came back in the 80s, forming the “Equality Party” in 1989 specifically to represent themselves, but that got about as far as you’d expect and they mostly went back to voting Liberal once Bourassa went away and they became a catch-all federalist party.

For the actual francophone UN vote, I have less knowledge of that, but it is interesting to note that almost no one north of the river seems to have voted for them. Or at least elected them.

Quebec 1981
The 1981 election, the only one held under its set of boundaries and the first strictly two-party assembly since 1936 (or 1966 if we don't count one or two independents). Lévesque kept his majority intact despite the crushing referendum defeat, and spent the next four years splitting his party over cooperation with Brian Mulroney's Tories on the federal level.

val-ca-qc-1981.png

This is pretty much what Quebec would look like for the next twenty-five years or so, shifting back and forth between PQ and Liberal majorities every two terms. Then the ADQ happened for real in 2007, and things started going awry again.

The 1981 election, the only one held under its set of boundaries and the first strictly two-party assembly since 1936 (or 1966 if we don't count one or two independents). Lévesque kept his majority intact despite the crushing referendum defeat, and spent the next four years splitting his party over cooperation with Brian Mulroney's Tories on the federal level.

View attachment 13695

This is pretty much what Quebec would look like for the next twenty-five years or so, shifting back and forth between PQ and Liberal majorities every two terms. Then the ADQ happened for real in 2007, and things started going awry again.

My prediction that the SNP would do well in 2015 was actually based on (arguably misguided) parallelism I saw with this election. With the whole issue of independence out of the way, I figured that people who didn't want independence, but who otherwise supported the policies of the nationalist government would as a consequence feel more calm about voting for them, which seems to be what happened in this election, in that the PQ gained both votes and seats.

Back