• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Days of Future Past: Part 3

Something about Space Travel seems to just encourage people to either wildly overestimate how soon things will happen, or play it safe and push it about 2-3 centuries into the future.

Great article Ryan.

One minor point - is it really accurate to describe Atari as a defunct company? The current one has little in common with the original, but strictly it is still extant.

A fair point, should have perhaps clarified Atari Inc. or Atari Games as the defunct entity.

A fair point, should have perhaps clarified Atari Inc. or Atari Games as the defunct entity.
It becomes hard to know where to draw the line. Yours Truly, 2095 by ELO (1981) features an android woman made by IBM, and technically that could still happen, but it feels rooted in early 1980s ideas of IBM as a mass computer manufacturer.

Good stuff.

I recently got ahold of Olaf Stapledon's Last and First Men, which starts off with some near-future predictions from 1930 and projects them two billion years into the future - I'll make sure to post my thoughts for y'all when I get around to reading it.

Something about Space Travel seems to just encourage people to either wildly overestimate how soon things will happen, or play it safe and push it about 2-3 centuries into the future.
I think it's just that we came so far so fast in the twentieth century (less than seven decades from the first man to fly a plane to the first man on the moon) that it's unsurprising that people assumed that was the new normal. As opposed to the predictions made in the 18th century where technology remains basically unchanged by the 20th century and usually isn't even mentioned.

Back