• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Days of Future Past: Part 2

It's nicely done.

I'm not entirely convinced that ASB is actually an appropriate phrase, given that ASB, as far as I understand the term, refers to events that break physical laws, and a swarm of meteors falling on the globe doesn't break physical laws. I'm also a little amused by using Haldeman's Forever War without any reference to Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

However, those are quibbles about tiny details that don't affect the points being made.

I agree about the use of ASB, all the way through writing it kept bugging me. It's why I commented on your article on the term asking if we need a new one. Supernatural AH or something.

The omission of Starship Troopers was an intentional one, set as it is several centuries in the future it doesn't have quite the same can-now-perhaps-be-considered-AH as The Forever War.

I think the difference between something like ID2 and Jurassic World is that in the latter example the passage of time matters only to the introduced element of the first film- it's like how a slasher series taking place around a particular place doesn't really count as AH despite the fact that by the 8th movie things have evolved and been influenced by what came before.

I think the difference between something like ID2 and Jurassic World is that in the latter example the passage of time matters only to the introduced element of the first film- it's like how a slasher series taking place around a particular place doesn't really count as AH despite the fact that by the 8th movie things have evolved and been influenced by what came before.

A good way of looking at it.

Incidentally, you've reminded me of the timeline around the original Mummy series from Universal. The Mummy's Curse is set five years after The Mummy's Ghost, which is set twenty-fivr years after The Mummy's Tomb, which itself is set thirty years after The Mummy's Hand. If we presume The Mummy's Hand was contemporary with its 1940 release, then this means the 1944 released The Mummy's Curse is set in the year 2000.

Back