• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Comics of Infinite Earths: The Spiderman Clone Saga

This,along other things,makes me wonder how Marvel managed to survive bankrupcy in the Nineties.

Also,the fact that they had to argue overwho has gonna write a horrible thing no one really wanted to write like Mary Jane having a miscarriage while Perelman and Icahn nearly destroyed Marvel is wonderfully stupid.

Great article.

Ooooooh, nice article.

Like the idea of Mysterio as a TV exec, less of a fan of the rest of the tire fire.

The idea of Spiderman becoming a New Warriors mainstay is pretty interesting, mostly because being tied to one of Marvel's most popular heroes might give Nova, Speedball, Night Thrasher, Namorita, Microbe, and even (G-d forbid) Darkhawk, extended careers as popular characters rather than expendable gags. Maybe the increased popularity of the New Warriors means that some other obscure team end up tackling Nitro and the other escapees at Stamford High School--the Champions? A minor X-team? The GLA? Lots of possibilities.

As a side note, Nitro has to be the most (in-universe) influential character most people haven't heard of--he gave Mar-Vell cancer and caused one of the few major deaths in the entire universe that stuck, and caused Civil War. That's quite a lot for someone treated as being on the same tier as Cobalt Man.

This,along other things,makes me wonder how Marvel managed to survive bankrupcy in the Nineties.

A combination of luck, having Marvel characters*, and being very lucky the film money showed up when it did.

* Valiant/Acclaim Comics, by comparison, had some bad creative decisions and could not rely on "but I've been reading X-O Manowar since I was five!"

The idea of Spiderman becoming a New Warriors mainstay is pretty interesting, mostly because being tied to one of Marvel's most popular heroes might give Nova, Speedball, Night Thrasher, Namorita, Microbe, and even (G-d forbid) Darkhawk, extended careers as popular characters rather than expendable gags. Maybe the increased popularity of the New Warriors means that some other obscure team end up tackling Nitro and the other escapees at Stamford High School--the Champions? A minor X-team? The GLA? Lots of possibilities.

That's a good point - if New Warriors are in better shape as a brand, who is the expendable one for Civil War? I remember Millar's original pitch was just a superhero causes the accident, maybe it'd be some poor half-remembered 'young' Tsunami-line hero. Sorry, Gravity!

I read the Life of Reilly articles after getting into the Atop the Fourth Wall videos and they are both fascinating and horrifying.

Really the best option narratively was probably going for Peter being the original and Ben the clone, but then just have Peter choose to step down and hand the mantle over as fatherhood makes him realise that he just can't carry on putting himself in danger like that.

Old Peter storylines are still valid, Ben can be 'expy young unattached Peter' without it getting too silly and there's the option of 'oh god shit's got real we need everyone' to drop in the old guy for a bit of a sales boost.

I'm probably being naive in thinking that could ever be an option however.

Back