• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Comics of Infinite Earths: The Deaths Heads that were and were not (Part 2)

Comics really can be amazingly random in what becomes successful. And incredibly confusing as to what even happened behind the scenes, let alone what was written.

I cannot stress how handy it was that Liam Sharpe was willing to talk about Ultimate DH

Comics really can be amazingly random in what becomes successful. And incredibly confusing as to what even happened behind the scenes, let alone what was written.

I was reading a behind-the-scenes on the Clone Saga earlier, and that one was maaaaaaad:

I seem to remember that Bob Budiansky was pretty happy with the plot. He had only one question, "What about the skeleton in the smokestack?"

"The WHAT?!" I asked. That's when I learned that somewhere between the time my plot was finalized and I delivered it - a period that couldn't have been longer than twenty-four hours - someone had proposed the "skeleton in the smokestack" subplot, Bob agreed to it, and decided that it should begin in the issue that preceded mine.

"Let me get this straight," I asked in what I'm sure was a less than civil tone, "The issue before mine ends with the discovery of the original clone's skeleton in a smokestack and you want to know how I intend to address this cliffhanger in my story."

"That's right," he responded. "What are you going to do?"

"Do we know if this skeleton actually is the original clone?"

"No."

"Do we know if it's fake?"

"No."

"Do we know ANYTHING about it?"

"No."

"Do we have the slightest idea WHERE WE ARE GOING WITH THIS #%^@& SUBPLOT?"

"Errrr...no."

"And you want to know HOW I'm going to address it?"

"Yes".

"ARRRRGHHHH!"

(If memory serves, the conversation went downhill from there!)

I cannot stress how handy it was that Liam Sharpe was willing to talk about Ultimate DH

I was reading a behind-the-scenes on the Clone Saga earlier, and that one was maaaaaaad:

Ive read that one before and yeah its mental.

I actually tend to treat the Spidergirl continuity as 'canon' after that point.

EDIT: Though I think the best way to handle it would have been 'Ben is the clone, but with MJ pregnant and a near-miss villain attack Peter decides that its time for him to step back. Ben takes up the superheroing, Peter occasionally returns for big stuff but is basically retired.' Does the whole 'character reset to a simpler time' thing that they wanted while only building on existing characters not rewriting them.

Last edited:
Comics really can be amazingly random in what becomes successful.

It's about trying out things and see what works.

Hmm, that gives me an idea. Once I thought up some comic villains for an ATL. Only names and looks, but it's a start.

* The Froschbär (lit: frog-bear. On the picture, he looks like a short man with a fat, hairy body, a big mouth and long fingers. Kinda Penguin-like.)
* The Sk'x'x (An extraterrestrial villain, looking like an attractive woman in a black-yellow speckled fire salamander costume.)
* The X-Phantom. A rather conventional comic villain, with a black mask and a costume in black and yellow too.

How do these villains sound to you?

Back