• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Chains of Consequences: How William Jennings Bryan Caused A Jeb Bush Gaffe

This one is for @von mises , obviously.
I, naturally, refuse to believe that the son of the man who saved Kuwait could possibly make a gaffe.

But it is an interesting chain of events and at least someone can appreciate Bryan getting one over the a Republican.

I do sometimes wonder though if some of the connections are a bit tenous - but in this case the one possible tenuous connection is really whether it is or isn't an allegory. Do we have some sort of statement from Baum like we do from Tolkien?

It always puts me in mind of that bit in The Goodies where they decide to save British cinema, and it has Tim Brooke-Taylor at the BBC telling off all the avant-garde directors as though they're naughty children.

I have no context other than the contents of this post and think Brooke-Taylor made the absolutely correct descisions there.

I have no context other than the contents of this post and think Brooke-Taylor made the absolutely correct descisions there.

Thande missed the bit early in Zardoz where society's answer to the threat of overpopulation is revealed to be the giant floaty head handing out AK47s to a large group of Brutes (all clad in the same way as Connery's infamous outfit) while delivering the message 'the gun is good, the penis is evil' thus directing them towards the destruction of existing life rather than the creation of new life.

Thande missed the bit early in Zardoz where society's answer to the threat of overpopulation is revealed to be the giant floaty head handing out AK47s to a large group of Brutes (all clad in the same way as Connery's infamous outfit) while delivering the message 'the gun is good, the penis is evil' thus directing them towards the destruction of existing life rather than the creation of new life.
I felt that to dwell on that point would be to spoil the experience.

They were Republicans, then?

Even decades after his death, Bryan fights the monied forces of the Republican Party. What a hero.

But yeah good article. I need to remember that SLP actually publishes things and comment more on them.

Back