• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Chains of Consequences: How British Wartime Evacuation Created Top Gear

Another great article and an interesting chain of coincidences and decisions lining up.

I feel like I should relate the story that, when my mum first came across the later Paddington books, she complained bitterly that they were obviously trying to modernise it by moving the dates on the marmalade up to 2005. It took until reading a story which relied on Paddington not knowing the difference between an Oyster card and an actual oyster for her to realise that Michael Bond was still (at the time) alive.

Another great article and an interesting chain of coincidences and decisions lining up.

I feel like I should relate the story that, when my mum first came across the later Paddington books, she complained bitterly that they were obviously trying to modernise it by moving the dates on the marmalade up to 2005. It took until reading a story which relied on Paddington not knowing the difference between an Oyster card and an actual oyster for her to realise that Michael Bond was still (at the time) alive.

I didn't realise they were being written that late!

Tempting to wonder whether the Clarkson phenomenon can be linked to Brexit. He is certainly the ultimate 'Rock Right' figure, and Brexit is in my view essentially a product of the Rock Right, the Elgarisation of Rock, Little Anglospherism rather than traditional Little Englanderism. (Marcello Carlin wrote the most extraordinary blog piece, the day after the referendum, where he linked it to the Three Tenors - so the most successful sale of the European canon to an Anglosphere pop-culture audience since that canon began seriously to be questioned in the 1960s represents Brexit more than hundreds of number one albums he'd raved over which are all about the overthrow of that canon. Riiiiiiiight ...)

Tempting to wonder whether the Clarkson phenomenon can be linked to Brexit. He is certainly the ultimate 'Rock Right' figure, and Brexit is in my view essentially a product of the Rock Right, the Elgarisation of Rock, Little Anglospherism rather than traditional Little Englanderism. (Marcello Carlin wrote the most extraordinary blog piece, the day after the referendum, where he linked it to the Three Tenors - so the most successful sale of the European canon to an Anglosphere pop-culture audience since that canon began seriously to be questioned in the 1960s represents Brexit more than hundreds of number one albums he'd raved over which are all about the overthrow of that canon. Riiiiiiiight ...)

As @Thande often mentions the fact that Clarkson is pro EU and voted remain just feels wrong. He just feels like someone invented to be a pro brexit figure.

As @Thande often mentions the fact that Clarkson is pro EU and voted remain just feels wrong. He just feels like someone invented to be a pro brexit figure.
"Pro EU" is really understating the case, he's spent half his time since the referendum writing articles for the Yorkshire Post about how all Leave voters should be executed.

"Pro EU" is really understating the case, he's spent half his time since the referendum writing articles for the Yorkshire Post about how all Leave voters should be executed.
Kinda weird,given that in this video he more or less wants Brexit done so we can move from talking about Europe.

The swaggering red-faced British imperialist thing is an act.

My uncle told me that he once took his two young boys to a Top Gear Live show in Dublin.

Clarkson comes out.

'Welcome, everyone, to the first show on our new world tour. We'll be taking this to Canada, Australia, South Africa, America, New Zealand, India, and of course here in Ireland. All the places we used to rule!'

Polite if scattered laughter from the crowd.

Clarkson's expression hardens, and his voice drops. 'And that we can get back any time we like.'

My uncle said there was a pause and then the crowd exploded with laughter- but it was a long pause.

Back