• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Chains of Consequences: Die Hard With a Reference

Great article.

My first exposure to Die Hard btw was the horrible 2001 French parody of it, Don’t Die Too Hard!

@Redolegna Do you know why Eric and Ramzy are apparently popular? They’re incredibly annoying and they genuinely shouldn’t be in movies

Great article.

My first exposure to Die Hard btw was the horrible 2001 French parody of it, Don’t Die Too Hard!

@Redolegna Do you know why Eric and Ramzy are apparently popular? They’re incredibly annoying and they genuinely shouldn’t be in movies

I know how they became popular, through stand-up and Canal+. They were on H, a parody of medical show with Debbouze, who is way more talented than they are, of which I just watched the first episode on Netflix and which is grating to say the least. I'm guessing they impressed some of the producers at Canal and they got enough money for a vehicle. What I don't get is why they got more. But then, Camping with Dubosc had two sequels and Bigard was arguably the biggest one-man-show in France through the nineties, oughts and part of the tens, so who am I to say? No accounting for taste.

Thank you Skinny, and also to @RyanF and @Heavy for the recent discussions on the subject.

Die Hard is one of those rare blockbuster movies that has a perfect screenplay, like Sleuth or Chinatown or The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. There is no wastage. It's always funny to read about episodes like the near-death experience you alluded to leading to the screenwriter adding lots of new material in because it feels so complete that it is one of those things you almost imagine being written in a single sitting. It is one of those screnplays that could easily and credibly have been nominated for an Oscar.

Die Hard is one of those rare blockbuster movies that has a perfect screenplay, like Sleuth or Chinatown or The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. There is no wastage. It's always funny to read about episodes like the near-death experience you alluded to leading to the screenwriter adding lots of new material in because it feels so complete that it is one of those things you almost imagine being written in a single sitting. It is one of those screnplays that could easily and credibly have been nominated for an Oscar.
Reading about Stuart's record on Wiki, I could be wrong but he feels to me like the screenplay equivalent of one of those Great Authors who writes one or two hugely influential masterpieces and then is barely heard from again - his other big name affair being his input into The Fugitive.

Reading about Stuart's record on Wiki, I could be wrong but he feels to me like the screenplay equivalent of one of those Great Authors who writes one or two hugely influential masterpieces and then is barely heard from again - his other big name affair being his input into The Fugitive.

Another one with minimal wastage.

Back