• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Chains of Consequences: A Bear of Very Big Influence

Such a delightful article. As one who has written tales derived from bedtime stories told to children in which soft cuddly toys belonging to the children in question feature heavily, well, regardless of how well or otherwise the tales are received by the wider public, the real pleasure comes from the reaction of the original intended audience.

The reference to Children's Logic is very apt indeed. Those are, I am informed, The Rules.
I thought you would enjoy it David, given your own connexions to this form of story-writing. Thanks.

The idea of J.R.R Tolkien penning a letter to an author complaining about an adaptation ruining a previous thing for his kids is too funny for words.

Winnipeg comes from the same root as Winnebagos, too, leading to two very different cultural products meaning brackish water. That water was called brackish in turn because Europeans were desperate to find any salt water, i.e. the Pacific, in their obstinate belief that the route to Cipango and Cathay lay just beyond the horizon.

The idea of J.R.R Tolkien penning a letter to an author complaining about an adaptation ruining a previous thing for his kids is too funny for words.
My other favourite letter exchange of Tolkien's is when Arthur Ransome wrote to him to critique his use of describing Bilbo as a 'man' at one point in The Hobbit. I don't care if you've lived through the Russian Revolution, correcting J. R. R. Tolkien on grammar and getting him to concede defeat is the real test of cojones here.

My other favourite letter exchange of Tolkien's is when Arthur Ransome wrote to him to critique his use of describing Bilbo as a 'man' at one point in The Hobbit. I don't care if you've lived through the Russian Revolution, correcting J. R. R. Tolkien on grammar and getting him to concede defeat is the real test of cojones here.

I've always thought the Inklings would have fitted in rather well on the modern internet.

The story of Harry Coleburn and the original Winnie is told, rather delightfully, in a recent book: Finding Winnie, which is written by a descendant of Harry Coleburn.

Last edited:
Pooh’s invented game of ‘Poohsticks’, involving dropping sticks from a bridge into a river and seeing which one appears on the other side first, has been defictionalised and is now played in real life.
IIRC AA Milne and Christopher Robin had previously played it at a bridge near their home (or at least the locals claim so to drum up the tourist trade from people like me wanting to play it at said bridge).

Back