• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Cartographicum Thandeum

I like that idea, though obviously if you could do the state legislature boundaries it might be better. Albeit probably a bit difficult to whip up.
I know that would be more consistent, but it's not physically possible with a map of this size. There was once a brave but mad individual who tried to do all the state legislature boundaries on one giant US map back in 2010, and some of the states just ended up looking solid black. (I think it was originally a zoomable svg which made a little more sense).

I like that idea, though obviously if you could do the state legislature boundaries it might be better. Albeit probably a bit difficult to whip up.

I've been stalled midway through a map of the Alabama legislature for a while - but it's not really possible to bring it down to this scale.

Fun fact; the independent in the State Senate, Harri Ann Smith, is independent via the unusual distinction of actually being expelled from an American political party. She endorsed Democrat Bobby Bright for Congress in 2008 after losing the Republican primary to challenge him. The Alabama GOP thus barred her from standing as a Republican again.

Naturally, she caucuses with the Republicans despite the fact that they stand candidates against her and the Democrats don't.

I've been stalled midway through a map of the Alabama legislature for a while - but it's not really possible to bring it down to this scale.

Fun fact; the independent in the State Senate, Harri Ann Smith, is independent via the unusual distinction of actually being expelled from an American political party. She endorsed Democrat Bobby Bright for Congress in 2008 after losing the Republican primary to challenge him. The Alabama GOP thus barred her from standing as a Republican again.

Naturally, she caucuses with the Republicans despite the fact that they stand candidates against her and the Democrats don't.
I thought that possibility had been ruled unconstitutional for being consistently used in racist ways in the South?

I thought that possibility had been ruled unconstitutional for being consistently used in racist ways in the South?

No, state and local parties do have the right to expel members, they just rarely use it.

The tricky part is that membership is pretty vaguely defined. You might be barred from attending party meetings, but still described as a “member” based on self-identification or on voter registration - which is usually done with the state government rather than with the party.

Rep. Scott Rigell resigned from his local Republican Party in 2016 because they were going to expel him for endorsing Gary Johnson. But he still “identified as Republican” - despite Virginia having no party registration - and so he wasn’t designated an independent for the rest of his congressional term.

Obvious American caveat: this is a generalization, every state does it differently.

Any chance the weakening of the VRA by the Supreme Court might have something to do with it?

This happened in 2008, so before that ruling.

No, state and local parties do have the right to expel members, they just rarely use it.

The tricky part is that membership is pretty vaguely defined. You might be barred from attending party meetings, but still described as a “member” based on self-identification or on voter registration - which is usually done with the state government rather than with the party.

Rep. Scott Rigell resigned from his local Republican Party in 2016 because they were going to expel him for endorsing Gary Johnson. But he still “identified as Republican” - despite Virginia having no party registration - and so he wasn’t designated an independent for the rest of his congressional term.

Obvious American caveat: this is a generalization, every state does it differently.

This happened in 2008, so before that ruling.
Am I thinking of being allowed to refuse new members maybe?

Here's Arizona on the same format, both because of @Nofix and because it has been highlighted as a place in which the Democrats may make gains this time.

Thank you.

Even though Garcia seems to be dead on arrival, Sinema is polling neck-and-neck, even a little ahead, and the chance of flipping a legislative chamber is possible (we won the Senate in 1990 and the SoS office, and tied the Senate in 2000 despite not winning much else.) Same goes for picking up McSally's house seat.

A bit more complicated - here's Missouri. Can McCaskill pull it off again? Her 2012 result certainly sticks out a bit compared to the others...

View attachment 5633

Even as red all the maps bar McCaskill's are, the House and the state assemblies really stand out for the sheer imbalance. The Republicans are really good at this.

Even as red all the maps bar McCaskill's are, the House and the state assemblies really stand out for the sheer imbalance. The Republicans are really good at this.
Yeah, of course those are the ones that are subject to gerrymandering...

@Ares96 has pointed out that the popular colour for 200k is wrong so I will fix this on the other states (I already noticed and fixed it on Missouri).

Back