• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Caprice's Maps and What-Not

Caprice

Weaseling about the digisphere
Pronouns
he/him
sh1982.png

Michigan State House districts in use for the 1980s reapportionment decade. Depending on definitions, this might be the first fully reformed apportionment, as the 1964 and 1972 reapportionments had somewhat different rules.

Thande

But whatever you do, do not, under any circumstanc
Published by SLP
Great maps, it's a shame about the blurriness of the source maps leading to those borders though. I know a way to clean them up, but it might make the numbers look awful.

Caprice

Pronouns
he/him
I just take the blank maps, copy them into Paint.Net, increase the contrast to maximum and lower the brightness to usually about 63% - that's a good way to get hard black lines, but as I say it tends to mess up things like numbers a bit.
1596129297432.png
My lines are perfectly aliased, though; I just have the white pixel-thick borders for a dual purpose: to better show district boundaries in cases where the subdivisions are mapped, and to better show the district labels and boundaries against one another when the district is filled with a dark color. For example, here's what the map would look like without them (and with unopposed districts in the darkest shade, to better show how districts look in the darkest shade):
1596129971864.png

Indicus

<insert title here>
Pronouns
he/him
I think lightening the blue colour scheme would make the black borders and numbers more legible - that seems to be what makes them difficult to see.

Thande

Published by SLP
View attachment 23378
My lines are perfectly aliased, though; I just have the white pixel-thick borders for a dual purpose: to better show district boundaries in cases where the subdivisions are mapped, and to better show the district labels and boundaries against one another when the district is filled with a dark color. For example, here's what the map would look like without them (and with unopposed districts in the darkest shade, to better show how districts look in the darkest shade):
View attachment 23380
Oh I see, I didn't realise it was deliberate. I can see the argument for that, but the problem is it immediately makes it look like an aliased jpeg when your eyes are used to seeing that.

I usually do black borders but light green numbers so they stand out.

Thande

Published by SLP
I sometimes also did light green borders on some of my US state legislature maps (when you tend to get a lot of dark shades) but I've never been entirely happy with the result.

Caprice

Pronouns
he/him
I did a write-up for a setting I have yet to name.

--------------

Due to personal reasons, you have found yourself in the foyer of an oddly well-kept house, the only one you could find for what seems like miles around. You put your coat on what you assume is a coat rack, dust off the wooden stool sat by the window, and take a seat. There are several perches throughout the room, and sitting on one of them is a puffin. Black and white feathers, black and orange beak, orange feet. Definitely a puffin. Kinda odd that there'd be a puffin here, but you suppose there are weirder pets.

"Is anyone here?" you call out, to resounding silence. The puffin cocks a head over at you inquisitively, but other than that there doesn't seem to be any response. "Hello?" you say. "I'm sorry for trespassing, but I'm lost!"

The puffin takes off from the perch, lands on the ground, and hops over to you, looking up at you with what you swear is an annoyed look were it not on a bird. "What do you want?!" it says. Wait. Says. The bird.

You're quite taken aback. "Y-You can talk?!"

"Yes! What did you take me for, some sort of pet?!"

"Why didn't you say anything when I got here?!"

"Why would I?!"

"Isn't this your house?"

"Why would I live in a house like this?! I'm a bird, for crying out loud!"

"I can tell! I just thought that if you could talk, maybe you were the owner of this house or something!"

"This isn't even a house! It's the town hall!"

"If you're a bird, why does your town hall look like this?!"

"I didn't build it! Do I look like I could have built this?!"

"No! You're a bird!"

"Exactly!"

"Right." You decide that it's a bit silly to have a protracted argument with a bird of all things, so it's probably best to deescalate. "Look, where I come from we don't have birds as intelligent as you, so I was pretty surprised. Just... do you know where we are?"

"You don't know?! This is the Isle of Birds!" Ah, right, that explains all the perches.

"Birds, huh? What sort of bird would sit on a stool like this?"

"Not everybody who lives here is a bird! Just most of them!"

"Right, right. My apologies. If you don't mind me asking, how on earth did you gain the ability to speak?"

"I... I was born with it? This is the Isle of Birds, all of us can talk! Well, most of us can talk. Some of us can't."

"How can I tell who can talk and who can't?"

"By talking to them, you fool!"

"That didn't do me very good five minutes ago."

"In my defense, I thought looking at you was a sufficient response. It appears I was wrong."

"Well, then. Do you know how you birds here gained the ability to speak?"

"Hm, I'm not sure exactly how it happened. We birds have lived here for countless ages, but it wasn't until maybe a thousand, two thousand years ago that some of us suddenly became able to speak. I don't know if it was specifically the birds with hands that got it, or whether those who got it also got hands. I wasn't there."

"...you have hands?"

"Yes...?" The puffin spreads its wings out wide, and you can see that on the end of each wing there is indeed a sort of hand, a thumb and two fingers covered in orange scales and with claws on the ends. "Do none of the birds have hands where you're from?!"

"No! We don't have birds we can have arguments with where I come from either, but clearly we do on the Isle of Birds!"

"How did you even get here?! What did you expect out of coming here?!"

"I got lost!"

"And wound up on an island?! This island?! Full of birds?!"

"Yes!"

"You really are hopeless, aren't you." The bird sighs. "Right, I have a thing I have to go to tomorrow, so I'd best get going. Don't die out there." With that, it hops up onto the window sill, uses those wing... hand things to open it, and takes off into the distance, leaving you alone.