• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Boxing History POD: Jack Johnson trains Jersey Joe Walcott (1941)

Ysengrimus

I'm not much of a pugilist, but I do find the history of boxing fascinating. In particular, two of boxing's greatest legends--Jack Johnson, the first African-American to break the color-line and become world heavyweight champion, and Jersey Joe Walcott of Camden, New Jersey. Both were fantastic defensive fighters--Johnson being the champ of the previous generation and Walcott becoming the heavyweight champion of the world in 1952.
I wondered, for a time, what a match between Walcott (confusingly, Jersey Joe Walcott borrowed his sur-name from a fighter, Joe "The Barbados Demon" Walcott who he admired--he was born Arnold Raymond Cream and changed his name to help promote his fights and image, as well as pay tribute to the Barbados Demon) and Johnson would be like if we had access to a time machine. Both big men, both slippery and skilled at wearing their opponents down--it would be a long fight, almost certainly.
But, then the needle moved a little more. I started reading up on Walcott's life.
I do recommend this book by James Curl on Walcott--which, besides newspaper clippings, is my main source for this.
Walcott had been fighting since he was a child growing up in Match-Town, a slum outside Merchantville New Jersey. He had rickets as a child, which meant that his bones were a bit more fragile and healed more slowly due to malnutrition.Walcott's first meeting with Jack Johnson was during his childhood--Johnson visited New Jersey, and arrived late. He ignored requests for autographs and according to Curl, his pet Great Danes ran wild through the crowd (!). Walcott was heartbroken his hero didn't treat his fans better, and swore he'd never do the same.
Walcott had a talent for boxing, and would use it to supplement his income throughout his life. He married young, and had several children. He worked construction and other physically demanding jobs during the day, and boxed at night. He won some acclaim, but after breaking his hand multiple times in fights--in part due to the malnutrition and stress of his life--he quit boxing for good. At this point, it was just another wildly dangerous job to try and get money to pay the bills--one that risked Walcott's life and livelihood with each fight.
But Johnson had heard of Walcott, and arranged a meeting with the up-and-comer. Johnson offered to coach Walcott, to bring him into the big time and solve his problems. Walcott finally was getting what he had always wanted--encouragement from one of his heroes, and a way out of poverty. But Walcott refused Johnson's offer.
In our timeline, mafia figure Felix Bocchicchio found and elevated Walcott from poverty, got him a decent trainer, and eventually brought him to the heights of glory in the early fifties.
What happens if Walcott says yes to Johnson's offer in 1941, as opposed to Bocchicchio in 1944? Does he rise to the championship earlier? Later? At all? Does his style of boxing change, or does his style stay the same? Would the two men even get along--Johnson, a notorious bon vivant and controversial figure in the era, might clash with the stolid and conservative Walcott.

Honestly, a lot of me just wants Walcott and Johnson to go around beating the crap out of the KKK and Nazis and make a movie based around that. So lets try and get that greenlit, neh?
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Back