• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Boom Boom Goes The Tank: The Circle Trigons

I always found the Circle Trigonists a bit... goofy. Their generic insignia, their unspecific ideology, the fact that they apparently managed to take control over most of Western Europe in a few years, the odd uniforms, the weird ranks...

What is hilarious for me, however, is the choice of Esperanto for their language. I get that the use of some sort of language that wouldn't offend any nation was necessary, and Esperanto, being international, was the perfect choice. However, a language whose creator and majority of speakers are avowedly cosmopolitan and pacifistic being used for a militaristic, expansionist and authoritarian nation is a bit ironic. I doubt the Esperanto community was happy with this.

I've always found the Aggressors endlessly fascinating, and this article did a good job to shed light on its military- and rank-related weirdness.

I found more information on rank insignias, special Trigonist decorations for heroism and the nation's fictional history here: https://www.alternatewars.com/WW3/Trigons/Trigons.htm.

Nothing on the Welsh Liberation Army taking Cardiff and then sending three guys up the road to prepare the next phase of their conquest of the UK.

Honestly, this concept is begging for a slightly more serious AH treatment. If you dropped a few elements like the name AGGRESSOR and got readers to suspend their disbelief, you could probably use the Circle Trigons to say something about Europeans' initial eagerness to forget the crimes of the Nazis and their collaborators.

I'm envisioning a closer Soviet-American alliance for whatever reason, and the US pursuing more heavy-handed occupation policies and getting stingier with the aid because they don't need to worry about Cold War rivalry. A poorer and more aggressive European Community with Francoist Spain at its center is built up by resentful burghers equally scared of communism and coca-colonization - men with names like Globke and Papon...

I found more information on rank insignias, special Trigonist decorations for heroism and the nation's fictional history here: https://www.alternatewars.com/WW3/Trigons/Trigons.htm.

The Army had Fryssen, Babylon Berlin has Nyssen, are there any other obvious AH stand-ins for the world's most infamous escalator company out there?

Last edited:
This is such an utterly bizarre thing to learn about. The mind boggles.

(And I'm with BClick, the mind also goes "how do you get a AH out of this?")

Back