• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Attlee loses Limehouse in ‘31

zaffre

fdril
Pronouns
he/him
Have been doing a little dive into ‘30s British politics inspired by the recent Greenwood thread and some @Ares96 basemaps - I had never realized before how cataclysmic for Labour 1931 was, and I also had not realized (am aware this is a bit reductive) that Lansbury and Attlee became leader and deputy leader in the aftermath in large part because they were two of all three people with ministerial experience that had managed to hang on.

Lansbury survived quite handily, but Attlee only just held on with a majority of 551 votes and 2.4% so my question is fairly simple - what if he lost? What could be the short-term (different deputy) and long-term (entire fucking direction of the UK) consequences of Clem spending time as just another unseated MP instead of his very abrupt rise to become Labour’s indispensable man?

Last edited:
Have been doing a little dive into ‘30s British politics inspired by the recent Greenwood thread and some @Ares96 basemaps - I had never realized before how cataclysmic for Labour 1931 was, and I also had not realized (am aware this is a bit reductive) that Lansbury and Attlee became leader and deputy leader in the aftermath in large part because they were two of all three people with ministerial experience that had managed to hang on.

Lansbury survived quite handily, but Attlee only just held on with a majority of 551 votes and 2.4% so my question is fairly simple - what if he lost? What could be the short-term (different deputy) and long-term (entire fucking direction of the UK) consequences of Clem remaining just another defeated minister instead of his very abrupt rise to become Labour’s indispensable man?
Herbert Morrison easily becomes leader of the Labour Party and then PM after the war.

That or Clem’s friend Ernie Bevin manages somehow to rise to the top.

Back