• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Architectural AHC/WI

Alex Richards

Domesday Clock update: 1.5 Williams till Midknight
Patreon supporter
Published by SLP
Something I've been musing on recently that may be of particular interest to @Guernsey Donkey - is there any possibility that the 50s/60s urban redevelopment of Inner City areas could have followed a process of replacing existing terraces with 4-6 story terraces of larger apartments rather than the whole-sale pull down and replacement with tower blocks that we tended to see IOTL?

I suppose the reasoning could be something along the lines of trying to relocate as locally as possible- potentially you could have seen a couple of smaller areas pulled down initially and then whole streets just wholesale moved into the upper floors allowing their old houses to be demolished.

Is this at all plausible? And what might some of the later effects on societies and urban areas have been?

Something I've been musing on recently that may be of particular interest to @Guernsey Donkey - is there any possibility that the 50s/60s urban redevelopment of Inner City areas could have followed a process of replacing existing terraces with 4-6 story terraces of larger apartments rather than the whole-sale pull down and replacement with tower blocks that we tended to see IOTL?

I suppose the reasoning could be something along the lines of trying to relocate as locally as possible- potentially you could have seen a couple of smaller areas pulled down initially and then whole streets just wholesale moved into the upper floors allowing their old houses to be demolished.

Is this at all plausible? And what might some of the later effects on societies and urban areas have been?
Kill Corbusier before he became big and replace him with a theorist (Pick someone from Weissenhof) who prefers low rise high density. Maybe rooftop streets rather than streets in the sky as the theoretical concept.

Would that potentially lead to use of (enclosed?) sky bridges across either a network of rooftop gardens/allotments or linking the top/fourth floor of buildings?
Eh, the idea would probably be ditched fairly early on for a variety of cost reasons. Though you may end up with a city or two embracing it before cost effectiveness.

Its not like indoor streets ever really became a thing.

Back