• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

An introduction to the Misfit Squadron series

Misfits-1940s has a lot more gender equality than our own, is there a specific POD for that?
David Flin just asked that in a PM! I hope he'll forgive me for quoting chunks of my reply to him.
Yes, without spoiling much, I can say that there is.
In the books I mention something called the "Enlightenment" happening in the British Empire, which was a move towards rationalisation instead of religion, of thought rather than belief. It was a change brought about by Queen Victoria and wasn't restricted to just religious matters, but to social ones as well, including, among many other things, gender equality.
The Enlightenment crops up several times in the series but hasn't been fully explored yet. It will be elaborated upon in future volumes.

A couple of questions about the world. Some of them may be spoilers, but I'd say that all questions pertain to the background of the story. I haven't read any of the books in the series yet.

1. Did a World War I equivalent ever occur?
2. What's the situation in France and Central Europe? America?
3. Are Communism and Fascism still dominant ideologies, or is Monarchism still a dominant ideology in the world? Are there any different ideologies that have occured?
4. When do the stories take place?
5. Is there one specific POD for the universe, or is it a series of smaller POD's?

Thank you!

Afternoon all! If anybody has any questions about the series or the Misfit Squadron world, I'll be happy to respond to them, unless I consider them a spoiler, in which case you'll just have to read the books to find the answer!

I'm intrigued as to whether you have the entire alt-Second World War sketched out in your head, or if it's more of a bare-bones approach that you augment depending on story requirements?

And will the conflict follow the general chronology of our timeline, or start to diverge?

A couple of questions about the world. Some of them may be spoilers, but I'd say that all questions pertain to the background of the story. I haven't read any of the books in the series yet.

1. Did a World War I equivalent ever occur?
2. What's the situation in France and Central Europe? America?
3. Are Communism and Fascism still dominant ideologies, or is Monarchism still a dominant ideology in the world? Are there any different ideologies that have occured?
4. When do the stories take place?
5. Is there one specific POD for the universe, or is it a series of smaller POD's?

Thank you!

1. Yes, the "First Great War" did happen, in much the same way as WW1 did.
2. The situation in France and central Europe is generally the same as it was in WW2 in 1940 after the Battle of France, that is to say, occupied by the Prussians.
3. Fascism exists, but it is confined to Spain. As for communism, the revolution in Russia never took place, but the Chinese are having some funny thoughts...
4. The published volumes take place between July 1940 and December 1940. There will be many more as fighting continues.
5. There are many small ones, not specified in the books, going back a couple of hundred years.

I'm intrigued as to whether you have the entire alt-Second World War sketched out in your head, or if it's more of a bare-bones approach that you augment depending on story requirements?

And will the conflict follow the general chronology of our timeline, or start to diverge?

I, as a writer, don't like to fully plan my books before I write them, I let them develop, letting the characters guide me almost, and often are surprised at the outcome. I am using the same approach with this series. So, at the moment even I don't know whether the Prussians are going to be defeated. I suspect they might, though!

The conflict began to diverge as soon as the Battle over Britain was finished - the Russian mission in book two is based on a real event, but in our universe it took place a year later.
I'm not going to be able to comment much further, but the course of the war will take a very sharp turn soon and there are big surprises on the horizon.

Back