• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

An Agnew presidency?

Jane Waterbury

Nixon dies early in his first term for one of any number of reasons. Spiro Agnew is now president. What happens when his crimes eventually come out? His VP won't be Ford... or will it?

Agnew would almost certainly be impeached/forced to resign after his crimes have been revealed.

Nixon chose Ford because he was under pressure, and he knew that Congress would only approve of certain VP's, such as Ford. However, Agnew has the 1972 election to choose his running mate, which means that he'll have a lot more freedom to choose a certain Vice President. At this point, the possibilities are endless.

Someone with good VP potential would be John Connally. A Democrat that started to turn Republican after 1968, Nixon initially wanted Connally to be VP, but that was shot down by Congress.

Agnew would almost certainly be impeached/forced to resign after his crimes have been revealed.

Nixon chose Ford because he was under pressure, and he knew that Congress would only approve of certain VP's, such as Ford. However, Agnew has the 1972 election to choose his running mate, which means that he'll have a lot more freedom to choose a certain Vice President. At this point, the possibilities are endless.

Someone with good VP potential would be John Connally. A Democrat that started to turn Republican after 1968, Nixon initially wanted Connally to be VP, but that was shot down by Congress.

Would Agnew still want Connally as VP or would he want someone closer to him in outlook?

Would Agnew still want Connally as VP or would he want someone closer to him in outlook?

As I said, the VP possibilities are endless. However, I think that there might be a good chance that Connally would be a good choice. Even with his vice presidency, Agnew was never that recognized, and I think that Connally would be able to appeal to more Democratic voters, be another way to further Nixon's "Southern Strategy", and help provide legitimacy to Agnew's campaign without upstaging him.

As VP, Agnew drifted further to the right. At this point, the only leading American conservative that I can think of is Reagan, and I personally doubt that Reagan would accept second place on the 1972 ticket, and even if he did, he would have a Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. effect, in that he would upstage Agnew himself.

At this point, Agnew could choose practically anyone as VP. There might be some potential VP candidates I'm missing or don't know about.

Back