• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Having been 'screwed out of the nomination' by the Democrats at the convention, come 2004, the Grand Old Man was determined to run again; he had come so close to getting it in 2000 that he was determined to get it on his second go, hopefully without chicanery. He was of the mind that had he won the nomination 'that [he] deserved', the Democrats would have won a third term. So, the Grand Old Man ran once again in 2004, but so did another face from the 1980s... Jesse Jackson. Jackson proceeded to win Iowa against expectations, as well as New Hampshire. The grand old man was concerned that he might not get the requisite momentum to get a strong lead. However, he managed to scrape some key wins in most of the remaining states before Super Tuesday, before winning a landslide on the big day. From there on out, it was just a matter of making sure the convention wasn't brokered again; he had a gut feeling they would screw him out of the nomination if it got to that stage. It was close, but it soon became clear that this was unlikely to happen. In May, Jackson, the last man standing, dropped out of the race officially. The Grand Old Man, on his third attempt, had finally become the presumptive nominee. He proceeded to win all remaining delegates up for grabs. He soon announced his pick for Vice President; Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack. In July, the Democratic Convention officially nominated the pair. Meanwhile, for the Republican nomination, George W. Bush received only the token opposition of Representative Ron Paul, the Libertarian nominee for President back in 1988, who ran in retaliation of Bush managing to 'steal the nomination' from John McCain, who won more votes and indeed first round delegates than him. Bush won all but one delegate, and was easily renominated along with Vice President Whitman. With that, the general election campaign begun.

1617760111316.png

In almost every poll from 2003 onwards, Bush had led against all potential Democratic nominees. This continued after the 2004 conventions, especially after the usual convention boost for the Republicans, who came after the Democrats in August. However, Bush made one gaffe too many, and it began to take a toll. With little over a month to go before the election, the Grand Old Man, and the Democrats as a whole, led in the polls for the first time on average since before 2003. Though this lead would largely dissipate, with the average reverting to a Republican lead after long, the Democrats remained incredibly close behind. The final poll before the election showed the Republicans ahead on the popular vote by about 0.6%. When the returns started coming in, it was immediately clear that the Democrats were overperforming. Though Bush and the Republicans flipped New Mexico from 2000, the Democrats and the Grand Old Man were ahead by a very uncharacteristically large margin in Florida, at least in relative terms. The Sunshine State, in the end, was called in record time, which most pundits agreed was probably the death knell for the Republicans chances of winning re-election, with Iowa and New Hampshire ending up flipping for the Democrats as well. It was not long before, at long last, the media called the election, and Bush swiftly conceded. And so, in the end, the Grand Old man pulled it off. After 42 years in the Senate, and a presidential bid 24 years earlier, he had succeeded in his ambition. At the age of 72, he was the oldest person to be elected President for a first term. On January 20th, 2005, he was sworn in, and a new dawn broke in the United States of America, with the Grand Old Man at its helm.

1617761832394.png

The title of Governor of New York has formally lain dormant since General Michael Rivera dissolved it at the end of the Catskill War. Three states formally claim the title of Governor: the Republic of the City of New York, the State of Albany, and the State of Syracuse.
1617943216113.png

Last edited:
Zeg2kSv.png

What's this? Two wikiboxes on the same concept? Yeah, basically I was looking at this map of the Ozarks, realized that some counties were fully inside of the Ozarks, and some partially, so I decided to do two wikiboxes. The first, which goes by many other names like Ozark Interior or Inner Ozark, consists of the Missouri, Oklahoma, and Arkansas counties. The second, which also goes by many names like Ozark Superior or Exterior Ozark, consists of the regular Ozark and the other ring of Ozark counties in Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and even Kansas. Yep, the southeastern corner of the state has one county in the Ozarks, Cherokee County.

Fun fact: The number of votes in Cherokee County is different between redraw the states and wikipedia (at least at the time of this upload). I mention this because it's literally the only one out of 92 counties. Ironically it was the first one I checked between the two, and was convinced for a little bit that all were going to be slightly off for this project. But no, thankfully. It helped me double check my information, and made sure I put in the right info.

I did play a bit fast and loose with my definitions. Like how Wayne County, Missouri technically has a tiny sliver of county just outside of the Ozark Mountains, but it's so small I'm counting it as fully in the Ozarks. Also I completely cut out St. Louis County and St. Louis City, as while the County is technically part of the Ozarks, I think it's culturally different enough that I can cut it out and not have anyone upset at me over that.

gonna post this here just because i haven't done a wikibox in weeks, even though it only took me ten minutes

My favourite trope in wikiboxes is "Take someone famous and make them deliberately obscure."
It's funny, that picture actually makes him look more obscure than no picture

The 2011 Yorkshire devolution referendum was held on Thursday 5 May 2011, asking the electorate of Yorkshire and the Humber whether a devolved assembly should be created for the region. The referendum was held as part of the coalition agreement between the governing Conservative Party and their partners the Liberal Democrats, the latter of whom had pledged to introduce devolved legislatures for English regions, similar to those established in Scotland and Wales, as part of their manifesto for the 2010 general election. The Conservatives had promised the Liberal Democrats that they would hold an advisory referendum on the issue in one English region, with Yorkshire chosen as the location of the referendum shortly after the Cameron-Clegg government was established.

The 'yes' campaign was supported by the Liberal Democrats, Labour, the Green Party and the Yorkshire Party, whilst the 'no' campaign was supported by the Conservatives and UKIP. The 'yes' campaign tried to link the successes of the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly to their campaign, arguing that a devolved administration would help boost the region economically. It also played on the regional feeling and culture of Yorkshire and tried to link this to a vote for 'yes', suggesting that having decisions made in York rather than Westminster would lead to better outcomes for its people. In contrast the 'no' campaign argued that a devolved government would add a layer of bureaucracy to government in Yorkshire and that it would increase taxes in the region, although whether the administration would have tax-raising powers had yet to be decided.

The referendum was held on the same day as local elections and the nationwide referendum on AV. On a turnout of 43.1%, 50.8% of voters approved the creation of a devolved assembly for the region, compared to 49.2% against. The result was somewhat of a surprise, with the few opinion polls conducted suggesting that the proposal was likely to be rejected. Although the referendum was advisory and the Government was not required to act on its findings, the Liberal Democrats pressured the Conservatives into moving forward with the creation of a devolved assembly and it was announced that a devolved assembly would be created. Delays in government in deciding exactly what form the assembly would take and what powers it would have pushed the introduction date of the assembly beyond 2013, when it was initially mooted that elections would be held, and the first election to the assembly was not held until 2016 to bring it in-line with elections to other devolved administrations.

screenshot-en.wikipedia.org-2021.04.11-09_09_45.png

——————————————
The 2016 Yorkshire Assembly election was held on Thursday 5 May 2016 to elect all 76 members to the first Yorkshire Assembly. Labour won a plurality of seats, but fell three seats short of a majority and formed a minority administration, with the support of the Liberal Democrats, and former MP Caroline Flint became the First Secretary of Yorkshire.

The assembly was established by the Government of Yorkshire Act 2014, introduced by the coalition government following the 2011 referendum approving its creation. The assembly was elected using the mixed-member proportional (MMP) electoral system, combining 54 geographical constituencies and 22 regional list seats. The system used made it unlikely that any party would win a majority of seats, although as the proportion of list seats was smaller than in other MMP systems psepheologists suggested it was not impossible for a party to win a majority by winning enough constituency seats.

The election saw very little change when compared to how Yorkshire voted at the 2015 general election, with Labour winning a plurality of votes and seats. The Conservatives saw their strongest support in North Yorkshire and Humberside, although because the party won significantly less geographical seats than Labour they found themselves 12 seats behind the largest party. UKIP won almost a fifth of list seat votes and therefore won ten regional seats, whilst the Liberal Democrats topped up their one constituency seat with three regional seats. The Greens also entered the assembly, winning two regional seats in West and South Yorkshire.

Labour would go on to form a minority government after agreeing a confidence and supply arrangement with the Liberal Democrats. The new assembly initially met in the City of York Council Assembly until the Yorkshire Assembly Building in the Guildhall area of York completed construction in late 2017.

screenshot-en.wikipedia.org-2021.04.11-09_38_54.png

The 2011 Yorkshire devolution referendum was held on Thursday 5 May 2011, asking the electorate of Yorkshire and the Humber whether a devolved assembly should be created for the region. The referendum was held as part of the coalition agreement between the governing Conservative Party and their partners the Liberal Democrats, the latter of whom had pledged to introduce devolved legislatures for English regions, similar to those established in Scotland and Wales, as part of their manifesto for the 2010 general election. The Conservatives had promised the Liberal Democrats that they would hold an advisory referendum on the issue in one English region, with Yorkshire chosen as the location of the referendum shortly after the Cameron-Clegg government was established.

The 'yes' campaign was supported by the Liberal Democrats, Labour, the Green Party and the Yorkshire Party, whilst the 'no' campaign was supported by the Conservatives and UKIP. The 'yes' campaign tried to link the successes of the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly to their campaign, arguing that a devolved administration would help boost the region economically. It also played on the regional feeling and culture of Yorkshire and tried to link this to a vote for 'yes', suggesting that having decisions made in York rather than Westminster would lead to better outcomes for its people. In contrast the 'no' campaign argued that a devolved government would add a layer of bureaucracy to government in Yorkshire and that it would increase taxes in the region, although whether the administration would have tax-raising powers had yet to be decided.

The referendum was held on the same day as local elections and the nationwide referendum on AV. On a turnout of 43.1%, 50.8% of voters approved the creation of a devolved assembly for the region, compared to 49.2% against. The result was somewhat of a surprise, with the few opinion polls conducted suggesting that the proposal was likely to be rejected. Although the referendum was advisory and the Government was not required to act on its findings, the Liberal Democrats pressured the Conservatives into moving forward with the creation of a devolved assembly and it was announced that a devolved assembly would be created. Delays in government in deciding exactly what form the assembly would take and what powers it would have pushed the introduction date of the assembly beyond 2013, when it was initially mooted that elections would be held, and the first election to the assembly was not held until 2016 to bring it in-line with elections to other devolved administrations.

View attachment 36068

——————————————
The 2016 Yorkshire Assembly election was held on Thursday 5 May 2016 to elect all 76 members to the first Yorkshire Assembly. Labour won a plurality of seats, but fell three seats short of a majority and formed a minority administration, with the support of the Liberal Democrats, and former MP Caroline Flint became the First Secretary of Yorkshire.

The assembly was established by the Government of Yorkshire Act 2014, introduced by the coalition government following the 2011 referendum approving its creation. The assembly was elected using the mixed-member proportional (MMP) electoral system, combining 54 geographical constituencies and 22 regional list seats. The system used made it unlikely that any party would win a majority of seats, although as the proportion of list seats was smaller than in other MMP systems psepheologists suggested it was not impossible for a party to win a majority by winning enough constituency seats.

The election saw very little change when compared to how Yorkshire voted at the 2015 general election, with Labour winning a plurality of votes and seats. The Conservatives saw their strongest support in North Yorkshire and Humberside, although because the party won significantly less geographical seats than Labour they found themselves 12 seats behind the largest party. UKIP won almost a fifth of list seat votes and therefore won ten regional seats, whilst the Liberal Democrats topped up their one constituency seat with three regional seats. The Greens also entered the assembly, winning two regional seats in West and South Yorkshire.

Labour would go on to form a minority government after agreeing a confidence and supply arrangement with the Liberal Democrats. The new assembly initially met in the City of York Council Assembly until the Yorkshire Assembly Building in the Guildhall area of York completed construction in late 2017.

Love it! I like me some healthy English devolution, would love to see it for the West Midlands especially. I also really like the Libdems forcing Cameron into doing devolution even though the referendum turned up no.

During a factional struggle within the Democratic Party in which, in the wake of systematic political defeats, a challenge to the economic orthodoxy seems ascendant as a result of both short-term trends and long-term youth support, a candidate arises to challenge the challengers: the young, charismatic mayor of a relatively small Northern college town, with a cultural identity that puts him outside the political mainstream. Despite an inconclusive victory in one primary, he is eventually snowed under by Joe Biden, but receives an appointment to the U.S. Cabinet.

lNOf7o4.png

"Claire Wright, Independent, thirty three thousand..."

And there you go, Claire Wright, the independent candidate who has stood in the last two elections has defeated the new Conservative candidate Simon Jupp who has replaced the retiring Hugo Swire. A very large majority of over ten thousand, overturning a majority of over eight thousand, it rather reminds me of when Martin Bell defeated Neil Hamilton back in 1997. This seat has been Conservative for over one hundred and eighty years. Claire Wright is only the second independent elected since then, and we may have another in Beaconsfield but we'll have to wait and see.

1618387832268.png

No Quarter for Wild Beasts
Presidents of the United States, 1972-1981

View attachment 36309 View attachment 36311 View attachment 36312

I think either Agnew was supposed to resign a year later, or Bush take over a year earlier.

Also if Brown's Lieutenant Governor was Mervyn Dymally, why is his successor Mike Curb?

I like the idea, but a lot of the dates and other info are confusing, including stuff I didn't mention like the Vice-President portions of both.

Some time ago on the Hypothetical Elections Reddit, someone posted a wikibox of George Harrison winning election under the Natural Law Party banner in Liverpool in 1992, as had been proposed by the Maharishi along with I believe Paul and Ringo. It gave him about 90% of the vote with incredible turnout, so I thought I'd give a more realistic take. Might make it into a mini-series.

1618491658757.png

Back