• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Wikibox Thread

pmYJQwJ.png

I spent too much time working on this.

Pennsylvania, despite losing a million and seven hundred thousand voters to Westsylvania, does not go Republican. Yes Allegheny County was instrumental to Biden's win, but taking the surrounding counties in means a net gain for Biden in the rump state.

I bring you not one, but two alternate state wikiboxes from the 2020 election.

XP45wdT.png

To my surprise, the state of Superior (which I also considered naming the state of Arrowhead, Arrowhead Superior, and Superior Arrowhead) narrowly goes Trump. By 6,039 votes it would be the closest state in the 2020 election in terms of just votes. Even removing Vilas County, Wisconsin from the state still gives it to Trump by 2,681 votes.

Also, Minnesota, despite losing some blue counties, still goes for Biden.

HRD1FQH.png

Delmarva on the other hand goes to Biden by a reasonable amount. It is his new home state, after all.

Fun fact: the rump state of Maryland now has 1,890,307 Biden voters (68.32%) and 845,792 Trump voters (30.57%), which is just slightly less safe for Biden than neighboring West Virginia is for Trump.

lLDiB4b.png

The idea here is that the OTL attempted electoral path between Moon and Ahn Cheol-soo works out earlier - more of Ahn's support shifts to Moon, and with the NIS scandal happening basically as OTL (and, after the election, conservatives crying foul at a liberal "stitch-up" undermining Park's legitimate victory), Moon pulls it off. I had a whole elaborate methodology using comparative polls between Moon and Ahn to shift the support different amounts in different regions, but with how many provinces were so close it didn't create a map any different than a uniform swing relative to OTL.

I can't imagine Moon is in a great place politically, all told. The National Assembly is in Saenuri hands, conservative politicians are neither divided by nor discredited by the Choi Soon-sil scandal, the right-wing media ecosystem that helped pressure Moon's political mentor (Roh Moo-hyun) into death by suicide is still in place, highly resourced, and both motivated and able to monster Moon in the eyes of many Koreans, even with a healthier relationship between Moon and Ahn the Korean non-conservative parties are still heavily factionalized, the activist left doesn't have much to show for the last five years other than Moon's narrow election, and while it's probably useful not to have to deal with Donald Trump he also makes everyone else seem more reasonable and responsible by comparison.

2020 Thuringian government crisis said:
Bodo Ramelow proposed a solution ... the Landtag should elect Christine Lieberknecht (CDU) as Minister President for the legislative period remaining until the new elections. He also suggested that Lieberknecht should form a "technical" government in which three key ministries would be reappointed: the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Finance, and the State Chancellery. Christine Lieberknecht had gained respect across party lines during her time as President of the Landtag (1999-2004) and has relevant government experience as former Minister President of Thuringia (from 2009 to 2014).

In reality, the CDU turned the proposal down. But what if they didn't? And with the pandemic just over the horizon, what would have happened?

MnUA6jh.png

Back