• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Wikibox Thread

The 2020 United States presidential election in East Midlands was held on Tuesday, November 3, 2020, as part of the 2020 United States presidential election in which all 80 states plus the various Represented People participated.

East Midlands remained a red state, with Trump winning with 55.09% of the vote, while Biden received 39.72% of the vote. This remains the highest percentage of the vote a Democrat was won in the state since Obama in 2008.

2020_East_Midlands_Presidential_election.png

I probably horribly misrepresented the fine people of the East Midlands, but that's never stopped me from pursuing a bad idea.

The 2020 United States presidential election in East Midlands was held on Tuesday, November 3, 2020, as part of the 2020 United States presidential election in which all 80 states plus the various Represented People participated.

East Midlands remained a red state, with Trump winning with 55.09% of the vote, while Biden received 39.72% of the vote. This remains the highest percentage of the vote a Democrat was won in the state since Obama in 2008.

I probably horribly misrepresented the fine people of the East Midlands, but that's never stopped me from pursuing a bad idea.

Why is it that when I am logged off I can see your boxes perfectly fine but everyone else's boxes are just thumbnails which I can't see until I log back on? This isn't the first time I've seen this happen.

Why is it that when I am logged off I can see your boxes perfectly fine but everyone else's boxes are just thumbnails which I can't see until I log back on? This isn't the first time I've seen this happen.

Sorry, but I haven't the faintest idea why.

Maybe because I uploaded it to discord first, and linked it from there?

Yep, definitely. I mean leaving aside the fact that you've used the flag of Nottinghamshire for the whole region which... yeah.

-North East Derbyshire should really be in the same boat as Bolsover-Mansfield-Ashfield-Bassetlaw (and to be honest, that quartet is core-Brexit/Trump country really), and I think there's a probable case that Chesterfield would be a narrow victory the other way.

-I can't see a scenario where Hinckley and Bosworth doesn't vote the same way as Harborough- you've got the same dynamics of 'large rural area with a big Lib Dem undercurrent but solidly Conservative otherwise'.

-Rutland, South Northamptonshire and Derbyshire Dales feel like the sort of places that should be either ancestral Republican countryside, or fading Democratic countryside.

Yep, definitely. I mean leaving aside the fact that you've used the flag of Nottinghamshire for the whole region which... yeah.

-North East Derbyshire should really be in the same boat as Bolsover-Mansfield-Ashfield-Bassetlaw (and to be honest, that quartet is core-Brexit/Trump country really), and I think there's a probable case that Chesterfield would be a narrow victory the other way.

-I can't see a scenario where Hinckley and Bosworth doesn't vote the same way as Harborough- you've got the same dynamics of 'large rural area with a big Lib Dem undercurrent but solidly Conservative otherwise'.

-Rutland, South Northamptonshire and Derbyshire Dales feel like the sort of places that should be either ancestral Republican countryside, or fading Democratic countryside.

First of all, thank you.

Second, I apologize, I should have done my due diligence to the area and completed some more research before making the map.

Third, here is a map that I hope is more in-line with what would be expected (map is filched from reddit). Ratios might be off, but I'll pin that on American hyperpolarization.

There was polling around the time of the election to the extent that Biden would win in a cold war-level landslide if he and Trump were on the ballot in the UK.

I expect things would be very different in a world where the UK is part of the US and both sides of the two party system have had time to tie themselves to the British political system and apply their polarization to it.

Trump loses in a landslide because he's outside the polarized bounds of your political system.

I expect things would be very different in a world where the UK is part of the US and both sides of the two party system have had time to tie themselves to the British political system and apply their polarization to it.

Trump loses in a landslide because he's outside the polarized bounds of your political system.

He's also reported by the British media as a foreign rather than domestic politician which means a very different tone and British conservatives love comparing themselves with American Republicans to paint themselves as more reasonable, which the media wouldn't be able to do in this case.

It's still difficult to argue that he is comfortably to the right of the British overton window. I suppose if the UK was the part of the US, you'd have to assume the british overton window would itself be shifted but then I'm not sure what the point of the thought exercise is if we assume the UK as US states would just be a bunch of US states with the same politics as Ohio.

There was polling around the time of the election to the extent that Biden would win in a cold war-level landslide if he and Trump were on the ballot in the UK.

As much as I loath Trump, and believe so many non-Americans do, I'm fairly convinced that if he were the main right-wing candidate in any other Anglosphere country, most people who vote for right-wing parties would coalesce around him. Hell, people hated him in 2016 and still so many voted for him (nothing to say about last year).

He's also reported by the British media as a foreign rather than domestic politician which means a very different tone and British conservatives love comparing themselves with American Republicans to paint themselves as more reasonable, which the media wouldn't be able to do in this case.

It's still difficult to argue that he is comfortably to the right of the British overton window. I suppose if the UK was the part of the US, you'd have to assume the british overton window would itself be shifted but then I'm not sure what the point of the thought exercise is if we assume the UK as US states would just be a bunch of US states with the same politics as Ohio.

If this project were more """realistic""" instead of being the quasi-shitposts they are right now, it'd look very different. Different politicians, different electoral systems probably (nothing to stop a state legislature from electing themselves via PR, or apportioning their electoral votes in whatever manner they see fit, tweaked county borders, etc.), different political alliances (I doubt Labour, Tory, Ulster Unionist, SNP, Green, Liberal/Liberal Democrats etc. would quickly and neatly fold into the big two) different cultures (the UK would shift towards the US, but so would the original 48 towards the other thirty or so states).

Basically what I'm saying is you'd have an NHS funded by American money, but mostly spent on treating gun injuries in Herefordshire because the Supreme Court tells the State of West Midlands to go get fucked on gun regulation.

As much as I loath Trump, and believe so many non-Americans do, I'm fairly convinced that if he were the main right-wing candidate in any other Anglosphere country, most people who vote for right-wing parties would coalesce around him. Hell, people hated him in 2016 and still so many voted for him (nothing to say about last year).

Biden would be the main centre-right candidate for British voters. The domestic two party system would continue at 'state' level, but I'm sure the Democrats would dominate most regions at a presidential level.

There absolutely wouldn't be just a rough transferance of existing voting patterns onto the Presidency. I'd have voted for Biden, for instance. You can ask the British posters for some of their well-rehearsed characterisations of me as a Leave fanatic who's in hock to the far-right.

First of all, thank you.

Second, I apologize, I should have done my due diligence to the area and completed some more research before making the map.

Third, here is a map that I hope is more in-line with what would be expected (map is filched from reddit). Ratios might be off, but I'll pin that on American hyperpolarization.

Oh it's no problem really. And to be fair now I've had longer to think about it i'd forgotten some things like the Manchester/Sheffield suburb effects or Buxton that would probably flip High peak. I think I agree that 'UK joins the US in 2016, what are politics like' that it would be a Biden wash-out with Trump only winning in some very pro-Farage pockets. On the other hand, if it was *handwave* a 1940s union that stuck I could easily see a lot of rural areas having become solidly Republican and so voting for the candidate they don't like to keep the party they hate out.

Does the overton window matter that much in a 2 parties system though. I'm not arguing to copy paste US politics. But polarization and association is likely to lead to UK conservatives voting republican and just hoping they can influence the party to think their way.

Though I guess it's technically possible to envision a situation similar to Northeast states, with a republican state party who regularly wins state legislatures and governor mansions as well as house elections but an uniform blue tide in presidential and senate races.

I think the UK's conservatives have more right wing potential than that though, and the last few years support that notion. All they need is for it to become polarized in the same direction as in the US.

Which of course depends on how long they've been united, as said above.

I mean it's a fantasy scenario and all, but having the exact same candidates as OTL doesn't suggest a huge divergence backstory. If all you're doing is plonking candidates down from space, yeah, Trump would do shit.

The Tories in the last few years have been at their most intervensionist and public sector-reconciled since Thatcher, so the last few years are hardly a vindication of how easy it would be for the UK and UK right to fall in behind Republican presidential habits. Actually the opposite.

I mean it's a fantasy scenario and all, but having the exact same candidates as OTL doesn't suggest a huge divergence backstory. If all you're doing is plonking candidates down from space, yeah, Trump would do shit.

The Tories in the last few years have been at their most intervensionist and public sector-reconciled since Thatcher, so the last few years are hardly a vindication of how easy it would be for the UK and UK right to fall in behind Republican presidential habits. Actually the opposite.

Behind regular faceless republicans maybe. Behind someone like Trump who made some empty promises of change from the Republican platform as well as a lot of right wing culture war calls and appeals to sovereignty? That fits perfectly with the Tories who embraced the Brexit turn. Which they always had in them on the backbenches.

Back