• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Pronouns
she/her

In 2009, 20 years after the Peaceful Revolution, New Forum co-founder Jens Reich said of the development of democracy in East Germany: "The Bonn hippopotamus came in such a mass that you were simply helpless. The entire apparatus of the West was simply brought to the East in the election campaign. We had nothing to oppose. These were western elections exported to the GDR."

What if democracy in East Germany had formed without West German intervention?

Last edited:

Nofix

One part seal, one part ion

Jong Li was a medieval Chinese monk, revolutionary, poet, artist, philosopher, ascetic, and folk hero. At the time, he was widely known as the Dragon Lord, owing to the order he belonged to. Nowadays he is considered to be one of the earliest Green Lanterns on Earth, wielding the original ring and lantern that crashed onto Earth several thousand years ago, and would eventually come into the hands of Alan Scott (sometimes known as Sentinel to differentiate himself from other Green Lanterns).

While little recorded evidence remains, it is known that he was born c. 635, he spent much of his early life as a student and monk in the Temple of the Dragon Lords. In 660, after sheltering an escaped concubine, Imperial forces massacred most of the temple, leaving only Jong Li alive and capturing the concubine. Jong Li awoke the power of the Green Lantern ring that had come into the hands of the order, and used its power to wage war against the corrupt and decadent court of Emperor Gaoming. Eventually Jong Li defeated them, and, after the assassination of Gaoming by his own forces, appointed a new child Emperor in his place, the son of the aforementioned concubine.

Much of Jong Li's later life is undocumented. It is known he was a favorite of the new court, at times engaging in war against bandits and assisting peasants in natural disasters, but spent much of his time reconstructing his order, writing, painting, and attempting to return to the life of an ascetic. It is believed he died c. 719, but folk tradition states his body and soul never truly died, instead having ascended to the heavens.

---​

I doubt anyone has actually read Green Lantern: Dragon Lord (I did, it was OK if underwhelming), but that's where I got the idea for a medieval Green Lantern. This actually works really well with some wider world building/connecting I want to do here (since in my head/the original Golden Age stories, Alan Scott's Green Lantern ring did eventually end up in China before getting to him, and it makes sense there were some men worthy before him to wield it, even if we don't know all of them). My biggest complaint about Green Lantern: Dragon Lord was the lack of personal or dynasty names given to the emperor or his successor (I'm going with the idea that Li Chengqian is the evil emperor in the story, but I am not a historian that knows a lot about medieval Chinese history, so please take this with a massive grain of salt).

It's also fun to fake-reconstruct history, since in-universe people aren't certain who, if anyone, wielded the Green Lantern ring before Jong Li, and between Jong Li and Alan Scott.

Comrade TruthTeller

So much for hope in politics.
Pronouns
He/him
George Harrison decides to enter politics in the 1970s and becomes the MP for Wavertree in 1974. The focus keeps his marriage to Pattie Boyd together. They have a son, John, named after Lennon and born a few months after his murder in memory of him, and all the while doing this he continues his music semi-full time. He is soon after made a Minister for the Home Office in 1975, in another showing of the populist streak from Harold Wilson, and he stays in this job until the fall of the Labour government in 1979. He is offered to stay in the shadow cabinet but refuses and decides to focus more on his music. He is given offers again in 1983 and 1992 by the new leaders of the time. He still joins the Travelling Wilburys amongst other things during this period. In 1994 he is tipped the favourite for Labour leader after the death of John Smith but doesn't stand and endorses Beckett, who ended up winning the contest, in what is highly thought of as being caused by his backing of her. Once again he is given an offer to be in the shadow cabinet and again refuses, though considers it a bit more than the previous two times. In 1996 he, Paul and Ringo collaborate on a full new Beatles Album based on recordings left by John Lennon other unfinished Beatles Recordings, and some songs featuring just the surviving three, called called 'Times Past'. Labour are swept into power in a landslide in 1997, and Beckett offers him the post of Culture Secretary. This time, he comes very close to accepting but decides against it. This time, it was mainly due to a diagnosis of cancer earlier that year, and he wanted to focus his attention on his fight. Newspapers reported in November 2001 that he was "close to death" but through strength of will, Harrison eventually came out of that fight alive. He soon returned to the Commons. He releases 'Brainwashed' in late 2002 after a period of recovery, a release that was almost a posthumous one. A couple years later, Harrison forms a new band, MP4, with fellow MPs Greg Knight, Ian Cawsey and Pete Wishart, as the leader of the group. They were later joined by Kevin Brennan and became MP5. In 2007 he collaborates for another new Beatles album with Paul and Ringo, again partially using archive recordings, this time called 'Doolally'. In 2011 Labour are swept out of power and the new leader, Robin Cook, made him yet another offer for the Shadow Cabinet, this time one of the top jobs; Shadow Chancellor. Harrison declines, saying he is perhaps too old for the job; he has not received any offers for the shadow cabinet since. He has released several albums over the years, perhaps less since his cancer battle, but had major releases in 2007, 2013 and 2016, and is working on a new album slated for release later this year; all of these albums including Jeff Lynne, amongst other people. In 2019, after the latest general election, he became the longest serving member of the House of Commons, and was therefore bestowed the honour of Father of the House of Commons, the first major role he had filled since being a minister for the Wilson and Callaghan governments. In this role, he presided over the election of a new speaker on the resumption of parliament; this Speaker ended up being Alan Johnson. He is still active in the House of Commons and has no current plans to retire. His presence in the House of Commons is quite legendary, but of course he is still most remembered for his time in the Beatles, and also for his solo albums.

1595453667723.png
(If you're wondering if I've posted something like this before, I have indeed, but this is an updated version with a better write-up and better picture for George.)

Meppo

inspired a little by this list by @Zaffre, I suppose

Stephen Grover Cleveland (March 18, 1837 – June 14, 1893) was an American convicted rapist, politician and lawyer who served as Governor of New York from 1880 to 1883 and as Imperial Secretary of the Treasury from 1883 to 1886.

Born to a Presbyterian minister, Cleveland grew up in upstate New York. A political leader of the local Democratic-Republican Party's reformist Liberal faction, Cleveland came to be reputed for high personal integrity, commitment to principles of classical liberalism and stringent opposition to political corruption and bossism, which were central to his tenure as Mayor of Buffalo and, following the 1879 state election, Governor of New York. Cleveland's formidable policymaking skill and tacit support for tariff reform piqued the interest of Theodore I, who appointed Cleveland to the position of Secretary of the Treasury at the behest of then-current officeholder Henry Mason Mathews.

While Cleveland did much to reform the existing regulations and combat economic corruption, his prestigious career was brought down by an investigation into allegations of "gross sexual misconduct" towards Maria Halpin, first published in a Buffalo newspaper in 1880. A highly-publicized 1885 trial, which aroused the American people's interest further due to Cleveland's exuberant and stubborn personality, subsequently revealed that Cleveland conspired to cover up the incident by organizing the murders of reporters involved in the case and, eventually, Maria Halpin herself. Cleveland was sentenced to 25 years of imprisonment and convicted in December 1885. Cleveland's arrest led to brief turmoil as members of the New York Liberal faction denounced the trial as "politically motivated"; while this would affect future scandals such as the proceedings of the 1886 New York mayoral election, the unrest within the New York Democratic-Republican Party would ultimately abate by the Panic of 1891.

On June 14, 1893, Cleveland passed away from a heart attack at the Sing Sing Prison in Ossining, New York.

Last edited:

Nofix

One part seal, one part ion
While Cleveland did much to reform the existing regulations and combat economic corruption, his prestigious career was brought down by an investigation into allegations of "gross sexual misconduct" against Maria Halpin, first published in a Buffalo newspaper in 1890. A highly-publicized 1885 trial, which aroused the American people's interest further due to Cleveland's exuberant and stubborn personality, subsequently revealed that Cleveland ordered the murder of reporters involved in the case, as well as conspiracy to cover up the rape and place Halpin into a lunatic asylum. Cleveland was sentenced to 25 years of imprisonment and convicted on January 6 of 1886; Cleveland's arrest led to brief turmoil as members of the New York Liberal faction denounced the trial as "politically motivated".
The timeline confuses me. The allegations were published in 1890, but he was sent to trial in 1885? Also, and I could be wrong, but I'm surprised he would be allowed to stay on as Secretary of the Treasury while on trial. You'd think he'd be sacked by the government, or at least resign to "allow the government to function without unneeded distractions," or something like that.

Thande

But whatever you do, do not, under any circumstanc
Published by SLP

Meppo

The allegations were published in 1890, but he was sent to trial in 1885? Also, and I could be wrong, but I'm surprised he would be allowed to stay on as Secretary of the Treasury while on trial. You'd think he'd be sacked by the government, or at least resign to "allow the government to function without unneeded distractions," or something like that.
I'm honestly really sorry - I meant to write 1880 in the first case. In the second case, you're probably right, yes.

Edmund

---

Liberals hold Huddersfield after two recounts

Kirklees Councillor Jodie Whittaker has held Huddersfield for the Liberal Party following two recounts, with 21,679 votes to Labour candidate Paul Salveson’s 21,542, a majority of 137, after sitting MP Ann Denham stood down.

The seat, held by the party since Independent Liberal MP James Harold Wilson stood down in 1986, had been predicted as a Labour gain by a GfK poll last week for the Huddersfield Daily Examiner. This is no doubt one consolation for the Liberals on an otherwise disappointing night that saw them make a net loss of 11 seats.

Wilson was first elected as a Liberal for the predecessor seat of Huddersfield East in 1949, but left the party following its formation of a coalition with the Conservatives in 1960, and thereafter benefited from a pact with the local Labour branch as well as a strong personal vote.

Mumby

Always mysterious!
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him

---

Liberals hold Huddersfield after two recounts

Kirklees Councillor Jodie Whittaker has held Huddersfield for the Liberal Party following two recounts, with 21,679 votes to Labour candidate Paul Salveson’s 21,542, a majority of 137, after sitting MP Ann Denham stood down.

The seat, held by the party since Independent Liberal MP James Harold Wilson stood down in 1986, had been predicted as a Labour gain by a GfK poll last week for the Huddersfield Daily Examiner. This is no doubt one consolation for the Liberals on an otherwise disappointing night that saw them make a net loss of 11 seats.

Wilson was first elected as a Liberal for the predecessor seat of Huddersfield East in 1949, but left the party following its formation of a coalition with the Conservatives in 1960, and thereafter benefited from a pact with the local Labour branch as well as a strong personal vote.
red fens got me like

Meppo

Did a small wikitable for @Time Enough's excellent list of heads of government of a surviving First Republic of Armenia that transitions into a Second one, largely as a way to get acquainted with making tables. Honestly, I don't know what else to say about this.

ITTL, Sarkis Dkhrouni has a mostly successful first term as Armenia sees four years of economic growth and steady industrialization going hand in hand with trade union growth, as well as a strong relationship with the West (particularly Labour-led Britain) and relative peace abroad. As such, the ASDLP maintains their parliamentary majority; however, the Dkhrouni government finds themselves focusing on foreign affairs as Stalin passes away and tensions brew in Iran, Mahabad and the Arab world. In 1955, Dkhrouni is assassinated during a diplomatic visit to Lebanon amidst a severe political crisis in the country.

Last edited:

Time Enough

Civil Rights Cowboy
Pronouns
He/Him
Did a small wikitable for @Time Enough's excellent list of heads of government of a surviving First Republic of Armenia that transitions into a Second one, largely as a way to get acquainted with making tables. Honestly, I don't know what else to say about this.
Damn, wasn’t expecting this but it looks great anyway. Good stuff there.
TTL, Sarkis Dkhrouni has a mostly successful first term as Armenia sees four years of economic growth and steady industrialization going hand in hand with trade union growth, as well as a strong relationship with the West (particularly Labour-led Britain) and relative peace abroad. As such, the ASDLP maintains their parliamentary majority; however, the Dkhrouni government finds themselves focusing on foreign affairs as Stalin passes away and tensions brew in Iran, Mahabad and the Arab world. In 1955, Dkhrouni is assassinated during a diplomatic visit to Lebanon amidst a severe political crisis in the country.
That would be unsurprising, Dkhrouni would probably be the kind of fella to get him assassinated due to overreaching when it comes to foreign policy, though I see him still being popular due to his Social Democratic reforms. I could see the subsequent political crisis leading to the creation of the Third Armenian Republic (not much change, though some party changes, different system of PR being implemented as a way to combat the changing world...hmm I may have to do a sequel to my list).

Meppo

That would be unsurprising, Dkhrouni would probably be the kind of fella to get him assassinated due to overreaching when it comes to foreign policy, though I see him still being popular due to his Social Democratic reforms. I could see the subsequent political crisis leading to the creation of the Third Armenian Republic (not much change, though some party changes, different system of PR being implemented as a way to combat the changing world...hmm I may have to do a sequel to my list).
Ah, sorry, perhaps my wording was too vague - I meant the Lebanese political crisis. I still haven't really worked out who would assassinate Dkhrouni, though I presume it would either be a Muslim exile wanting to send a message.

That said, I would love to see a sequel to this list!

Time Enough

Civil Rights Cowboy
Pronouns
He/Him
Ah, sorry, perhaps my wording was too vague - I meant the Lebanese political crisis. I still haven't really worked out who would assassinate Dkhrouni, though I presume it would either be a Muslim exile wanting to send a message.
Ah that makes sense. Yeah I could see that, be doubly ironic if Dkhrouni was planning to repeal anti-Muslim laws before he’s killed.
That said, I would love to see a sequel to this list!
Certainly, I’ll have to start using Soviet Armenian folks given how by the 1950’s most of the freedom fighters are dead. But it’ll be fun, hmm may have the Democratic Party and Populist Party merge as an Anti-Social Democratic bulwark during the late 50s and early 60s. That be good.

Meppo

POD: Monte Melkonian survives the Battle of Aghdam

Even before the [1999 National Assembly shooting], Monte Melkonian's relationship with Vazgen Sargsyan and his allies was increasingly strained. While Vazgen deeply respected Monte until his death, calling Avo "the most honest person in the entire world", and the feeling was mutual, their different political views - their outlook on Armenia's future - came to the forefront in the late nineties. In August 1999, despite his alliance with Sargsyan and [People's Party leader and National Assembly President Karen] Demirchyan, Monte Melkonian criticized the Sargsyan government's austerity measures, calling the proposal "a betrayal of the Armenian people's best interests in favor of foreign profiteers", and voted against, becoming one of the few Unity MPs to do so. Karen met with Monte on August 29, 1999 in his residence; he said that he understood Avo's qualms with the measures, but said that Armenia was in no position to do otherwise. Monte said that he wanted to stand by his principles, and found Sargsyan and Demirchyan's "disposal" of Armenia to Western caprice "unjust". What was supposed to be a heart-to-heart conversation grew increasingly heated, with Avo calling out Karen over the "false promises" and lack of concreteness in his presidential campaign, insinuating that he was lying about bringing Armenians "a prosperous life"; Demirchyan felt insulted. It took a week before Monte and Karen fully reconciled, when they held a press conference reaffirming their commitment to the Armenian people's welfare.

[...]

A confrontation between Melkonian and Kocharyan was inevitable. Some say it was a confrontation between the diaspora and the Soviet-grown mainland, but those claims only laid out a part of the political turmoil that Armenia went through. After Sargsyan and Demirchyan's death, Kocharyan understood quickly that Melkonian was his most dangerous enemy - they were starkly different, both in terms of politics and personality, and he would always be overshadowed by the greatest commander of the Nagorno-Karabakh War, no matter how much his men would insinuate that Monte was a radical, a Stalinist, or a terrorist sympathizer. Once Monte stepped up as leader of the People's Party, there was continuous, implicit tension between the Republican Party and the People's Party; Kocharyan held press conferences that contained not just numerous jabs at the "inefficient communist" People's Party, but what Monte perceived to be implicit death threats against him. It was not unreasonable for him to think so, as many felt that Kocharyan was involved in the [1999 National Assembly shooting], and Melkonian himself was almost assassinated in January of 2000. Melkonian's supporters, many of whom grew up in Artsakh or abroad and tended to be left-leaning and reform-minded, chanted that Kocharyan was "afraid" of Melkonian. In some way, they would be proven right when preparations for the presidential election began.

~ A Man's Rebirth, Mardar Melkonian