• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Wikibox Thread

The War on Terror: Insane Edition
Back in high school, one of the group projects we had in AP World History was to make a short alternate history film about any point of divergence we wanted to. I was excited about this as I had just begun getting into alternate history at the time and was eager to make an interesting film (albeit constrained of course by the zero budget nature of it). As it happened, my group was...less keen on probability and decided to have our film (which had to have a divergence post-1970) about if Bush had died on 9/11. Interesting premise you can do a lot with, but, well...the infobox kind of speaks for itself about what we had happen.
War on terror insane edition.png

Last edited:

Yokai Man

The War on Terror: Insane Edition
Back in high school, one of the group projects we had in AP World History was to make a short alternate history film about any point of divergence we wanted to. I was excited about this as I had just begun getting into alternate history at the time and was eager to make an interesting film (albeit constrained of course by the zero budget nature of it). As it happened, my group was...less keen on probability and decided to have our film (which had to have a divergence post-1970) about if Bush had died on 9/11. Interesting premise you can do a lot with, but, well...the infobox kind of speaks for itself about what we had happen.
View attachment 21797
This is literally a scenario numerous Romanian pundits un ironically thought could actually happen in the early to mid 2000’s despite almost everyone telling them it’s a dumb idea

Nofix

One part seal, one part ion

After the death of Superman in 1992, many new superheroes made their debuts to fill the role left in his wake. Steel, originally debuting under the name “Man of Steel,” was among the first. Utilizing a suit of hi-tech armor, Steel has battled the impostor Supermen, was involved in the attack on Coast City, and has been one of Metropolis' defenders in the post-Superman era. He is considered to be one of the most popular and effective of the new era of heroes, often collaborating with the Superman family and the Justice League of America.

Due to his length of service as a superhero, and the relative lack of personal information he has put forward in nearly thirty years, many conspiracy theories have popped up around him. From him being the cybernetic reincarnation of Superman, a lost relative of the Justice Society's Steel Family, a robot programmed by the Justice League, the very spirit of justice incarnated into metal, and even him being multiple superheroes wearing a single identity.

---​

So, does this count as the first black superhero I've done with this project? :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Nofix

Harold "Tex" Thompson was an American businessman, adventurer, superhero, soldier, and Republican politician. Born in San Antonio to a life of wealth, Thompson was a popular, intelligent, and athletic student throughout his childhood and into university. After graduation, he turned down the chance to succeed his father as one of Texas' premier oil barons to travel the world with friend Bob Daley, seeking a chance to make a name for himself, and to achieve wealth and success on his own merits. Sometime after returning home to Texas, he took up the secret identity of Mr. America, and used a flying carpet he had discovered during his travels to fight crime and corruption across the western United States.

While initially joining the All-Star Squadron after the outbreak of World War 2, he joined the Army under his real name, eventually being transferred to the Office of Strategic Services, where he was sent to Germany under the pseudonym "Hauptmann Otto Riker" for several years. In 1944 Heinrich Müller, Director of the Gestapo, was poisoned to death. Despite being a well-known fact among military personal, it was not officially confirmed that Thompson was responsible until 1970.

Despite coming from a Democratic family, and campaigning for both Roosevelt and Truman in the 1930's and 1940's, Thompson joined the Republican Party in 1952, spurred on by Dwight Eisenhower's run for President. That same year, he ran for the 68th district in the Texas House of Representatives as a Republican and, despite the odds, won. He was the only Republican in the state legislature during his term. In 1954 he lost, largely due to vote stuffing from the state Democrats. In 1956 he ran for Governor, knowing he wouldn't win, but intended to "make the [Texas] Democrats work," (Thompson got just shy of a third of the vote).

When a local newspaper asked why he ran hopeless campaigns for office as a Republican instead of as a Democrat, he answered, “If I wanted to be Senator or Governor, I'd have run as a Democrat. But I am more interested in giving Texas a real alternative to a century of Democrat [sic] misrule.” He headed Richard Nixon's successful Texas campaigns in both 1960 and 1964, and George Bush's 1964 Senate campaign, the first time a Republican had been elected to the Senate from Texas since Reconstruction.

Despite his generally conservative positions, he was an active proponent of federal funding for veterans education, environmental protection, subsidized housing, and civil rights, castigating Republicans who wanted to abandon the latter to win white Texas. He actively lobbied President's Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Nixon to pass strong civil and voting rights acts. From the 1970's to his death, he remained active in political circles, but limited himself to endorsements and fundraisers.

Both of his identities as "Mr. America" and "Americommando" have been used by multiple unrelated people throughout the years. It is unknown which, if any, of them have a connection to Tex Thompson.

akagreenette

shaped by clearest blue
Pronouns
she/her
Everyone must have known what was coming when Ted was elected.
Funny you should mention that. I wanted to make the list even longer and beat the joke to a pulp but thought there were no alive Kennedys who would be eligible for President in 1984. Until I remembered the trio had sisters!

luck_of_the_irish.png

Did I spend too much time on this? Yes.
Do I regret it? Also yes.
Is it actually funny this time? Eh....

Last edited:

Nofix

Did I spend too much time on this? Yes.
Do I regret it? Also yes.
Is it any funnier than it already was? Eh....
I actually think the first post wasn't too funny, a little too morbid and in bad taste. But going further beyond, and then even further beyond, and then even further beyond, it wrapped around to being hilariously dark.

Also Ilhan Omar isn't a native-born citizen. Replace her with like Ellison or Walz or even Kloubuchar for maximum darkness.

akagreenette

shaped by clearest blue
Pronouns
she/her
I actually think the first post wasn't too funny, a little too morbid and in bad taste. But going further beyond, and then even further beyond, and then even further beyond, it wrapped around to being hilariously dark.

Also Ilhan Omar isn't a native-born citizen. Replace her with like Ellison or Walz or even Kloubuchar for maximum darkness.
Fair enough. First post was a bit tasteless in hindsight, second was more for what I was going for.
Also, thanks for pointing that out. I actually went with Klob! at first before using Omar since it seemed she fit the "left-wing Minnesotan congressperson forced to play second fiddle to an unlikable Texan in the hopes that they'll maybe get a shot at the nomination if the party bosses allow it which they won't" niche better, heh.

Walpurgisnacht

The club is all their law
Pronouns
He/Him
Funny you should mention that. I wanted to make the list even longer and beat the joke to a pulp but thought there were no alive Kennedys who would be eligible for President in 1984. Until I remembered the trio had sisters!
Tragically, Lee Harvey Oswald escapes from prison to kill ag