• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Wikibox Thread

"With a projected 55% of the vote, Joseph R. Biden is predicted to win Prince Edward Island's 3 electoral votes."

YGnuv75.png

I remembered some discussion and calculations regarding that whole "United States of the Anglosphere" concept I've floated around. Some stuff @Uhura's Mazda calculated way back inspired this in a roundabout way (I decided not to make the Maritimes one state for the time being).

Originally I was going to do US House of Representatives election in New Zealand, and then I got to wondering if there would be a reserved Maori seat for House and Senate, and then I wondered if we'd pass an Amendment specifically granting the Maori the right to elect a House member a la DC, and then I got to wondering if that amendment would also include one for Australian aborigines, and then I got to wonder if the various US native tribes would demand one, and then I got to wondering if there'd be multiple Amendments (one each for each native tribe), and then I told myself to slow down and start with something a but more...simple. Much more scaled back. And that's how we got this.

Originally I was going to do US House of Representatives election in New Zealand, and then I got to wondering if there would be a reserved Maori seat for House and Senate, and then I wondered if we'd pass an Amendment specifically granting the Maori the right to elect a House member a la DC, and then I got to wondering if that amendment would also include one for Australian aborigines, and then I got to wonder if the various US native tribes would demand one, and then I got to wondering if there'd be multiple Amendments (one each for each native tribe), and then I told myself to slow down and start with something a but more...simple. Much more scaled back. And that's how we got this.
If we joined the US in the modern era, at least since Te Tiriti was incorporated into law, there would be. And this would cause other indigenous groups to want the same representation. And this would cause the US to lose interest in New Zealand as an avenue of expansion. As a general rule: in no timeline is there a USA which treats racial issues with sensitivity.

If we joined the US in the modern era, at least since Te Tiriti was incorporated into law, there would be. And this would cause other indigenous groups to want the same representation. And this would cause the US to lose interest in New Zealand as an avenue of expansion. As a general rule: in no timeline is there a USA which treats racial issues with sensitivity.

Harsh but true.

@Uhura's Mazda since we're going full ASB anyways (if a single minister in NZ history ever once had a fleeting thought of US statehood, I'd be shocked), what kind of concessions would New Zealand demand for statehood? I imagine the Māori in particular would demand keeping Māori electorates for parliament (or state legislature now). Also would the ~3,500 or so Māori-Americans have a right to vote in a hypothetical Māori House/Senate electorate?

With it being one year today since the 2019 United Kingdom General Election, I thought it would be a good time to present the final election box of my now dormant Time for Real Change project. Presented to you at the exact time of the exit poll. Also the parliament summary.1607806783837.png1607811808929.png1607812727076.png1607812747887.png1607812756193.png1607812801020.png1607829710012.png1607812842222.png1607812862348.png

DISCLAIMER: I am fully aware of the ASB nature of this result.

Last edited:
With it being one year today since the 2019 United Kingdom General Election, I thought it would be a good time to present the final election box of my now dormant Time for Real Change project. Presented to you at the exact time of the exit poll.View attachment 29345

DISCLAIMER: I am fully aware of the ASB nature of this result.
Ewww, Sinn Féin getting a seat. Good box.

With it being one year today since the 2019 United Kingdom General Election, I thought it would be a good time to present the final election box of my now dormant Time for Real Change project. Presented to you at the exact time of the exit poll. Also the parliament summary.View attachment 29345
*desperately claws at computer screen, attempting to enter this world to escape his own, realising his futility at a fleeting moment, curls up into a ball and tearfully begins to hum 'solidarity forever'*

With it being one year today since the 2019 United Kingdom General Election, I thought it would be a good time to present the final election box of my now dormant Time for Real Change project. Presented to you at the exact time of the exit poll. Also the parliament summary.

1607846463540.png

To some, this might count as the sandwich being a little dry in terms of monkey's paw stuff, but when i saw it I let out an audible "Oh no!"

I'm confused by how the dynamics worked, though, Sturgeon left her seat in Glasgow and was replaced by Cherry? Was she party couped by Cherry while in Cherry was in the HoC and then resigned as an MSP, letting Cherry take her seat? That seems a bit roundabout.

dasouf.PNG

"The 1944 Presidential Elections served as one of the most transformational in American history, as the first election in which the "Solid" Southern United States, which Democrats had often relied on as a reliable voting bloc began to shift in favor of the Republican Party. Historians often attribute the positions which President Henry Wallace held regarding his support of trade unionism in the South and his criticisms on the racial disenfranchisement of black communities, which was often fueled by corrupt political machines. These stances alienated many Southern politicians, who began to view Wallace's stances against segregation as "a betrayal of President Roosevelt's patriotic values" and "communist infiltration into the rights of individual states".

As of 1944, discontent in the South was so high, several state leaders had discussed running under a third-party "Dixiecrat" ticket, led by Arkansas governor Homer Adkins. Meanwhile, the conservative Senator from Ohio, John Bricker would be eagerly nominated by the Grand Old Party, buoyed by his fiery criticisms of the incumbent's policies as "a front for the Hillman-Browder Communist Party". Following his nomination, the party apparatus began suggesting moderate running mates such as Massachusetts senator Henry Cabot Lodge or California governor Earl Warren, drumming up support outside of the Midwest. However, Bricker had been a longtime supporter of the "Conservative Coalition" which united conservative Republicans and Southern Democrats against Roosevelt and Wallace's more liberal policies.

While the Coalition had always been a de-facto alliance and had never held much influence outside of policy-making, Bricker remained determined to bring his vision of an anti-Wallace alliance into reality. Eventually, the other half of Bricker's conservative coalition emerged in the form of Wilbert Lee "Pappy" O'Daniels, junior Texas Senator and famed Western swing musician. While it was clear that O'Daniels joining the Republican ticket would be political suicide, it was an open secret that the Senator would not run for re-election, often being viewed by his constituents as an inefficient legislator. Immediately, this announcement plunged the Party of Lincoln into sheer chaos as liberals denounced Bricker's betrayal of Republican values while the conservatives praised his bold decision and the moderates seemed to be in a state of catatonic shock.

Similar to Bricker himself, Wallace had realized the importance of extending an olive branch towards the South, choosing Burnet Maybank as his running mate, an active supporter of the New Deal, and a fanatic proponent of racial segregation and white supremacy. The resulting election would be one of the strangest in American history, with 1940 Republican nominee Wendell Willkie campaigning on behalf of the Wallace campaign, along with several other prominent liberals. Pappy O'Daniels would briefly restart his musical career, as Republican voters sang his campaign songs from Tulsa to Montgomery, while Virginia Senator Harry Byrd used his stranglehold over local politics to turn the state towards the Grand Old Party.

In the end, Bricker's "March Through Dixie" would fail to win him the Presidency, as loyal Republican states in New England received massive turnout in Wallace's favor. States such as Arkansas and Florida were only won by Bricker with the slimmest of margins as he even failed to win Texas, the home of his running mate. And while Maybank would later ascend to the Vice Presidency alongside Wallace, the Senator from South Carolina would later regret his support for Wallace following the President's desegregation of the Armed Forces, eventually resigning in 1946. Following the election, the Republican party apparatus would later view Bricker's southern outreach as a major reason behind their defeat, eventually leading to Thomas Dewey's nomination in 1948 under the promise of liberal leadership.

But in truth, there was little chance that Bricker would have defeated the popular wartime incumbent riding off of Roosevelt's coattails, even if he had chosen Lodge or Warren as running mate. This would soon be realized after Dewey's defeat at the hands of a more moderate Democratic ticket led by the famed General Eisenhower. While Bricker would remain distrusted by his Republican peers for the rest of his political career, his March Through Dixie would be survived by subsequent Republican campaigns. For without his groundbreaking strategy, Robert Taft's 1952 Presidential campaign would have never achieved victory despite his advocacy for state's rights and utilization of a Southern running mate."

-Excerpt from "Elephants Over Dixie: The End of the Solid South", by William Blythe

Last edited:
Historians often attribute the positions which President Henry Wallace held regarding his support of trade unionism in the South and his criticisms on the racial disenfranchisement of black communities, which was often fueled by corrupt political machines.

Hrm. In which Southern states trade unions were at their most powerful by this point?

For without his groundbreaking strategy, Robert Taft's 1952 Presidential campaign would have never achieved victory despite his advocacy for state's rights and the use of a Southern running mate."

...who is Taft's 1952 running mate?

Hrm. In which Southern states trade unions were at their most powerful by this point?
Yeah, the Conservative Coalition was deeply opposed to the rising influence of social unionism in the South and how Roosevelt gave trade unions more influence throughout the war, which ended up becoming a major criticism against Wallace from Southern politicians.
...who is Taft's 1952 running mate?
That's a surprise ;)

View attachment 29370

To some, this might count as the sandwich being a little dry in terms of monkey's paw stuff, but when i saw it I let out an audible "Oh no!"

I'm confused by how the dynamics worked, though, Sturgeon left her seat in Glasgow and was replaced by Cherry? Was she party couped by Cherry while in Cherry was in the HoC and then resigned as an MSP, letting Cherry take her seat? That seems a bit roundabout.
What I was planning was that Sturgeon resigns as SNP leader after the 2019 election, is acting leader through to the leadership election, and then Cherry wins the leadership election while in the HoC and becomes First Minister. Sturgeon then resigns her seat which allows Cherry to enter Holyrood, while in the meantime Swinney leads the party there. This by-election is delayed by the coronavirus, and I have half a mind to make it December 12th.

Back