• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Terminology: Naval Gazing (Part 2)

Larboard surviving as a term feels like one of those things that almost should have happened.
It's mad that it survived so long.

Shouting in a storm, during a time critical moment, that somebody needs to watch either the larboard or the starboard side is so ripe for error that it sounds like the sort of thing that the writer of OTL has only included in order to introduce drama thanks to a Misunderstanding Nobody Could Have Seen Coming.

Larboard surviving as a term feels like one of those things that almost should have happened.

Not really? When the wind in the wires makes that tattletale sound, everything magically becomes rather short. I'm almost suprised starboard didn't get cut down, since most of the time I miss a syllable of it in anything over a Beaufort 5, and once you get to exciting numbers like 7 or 8 speaking becomes a performance art at greater distances than a half-meter.

Beaufort_scale_2.jpg

A boring day, not really worth going out.
Beaufort_scale_5.jpg

A good day out to sail on
Beaufort_scale_8.jpg

At this point I tend to go home

Not really? When the wind in the wires makes that tattletale sound, everything magically becomes rather short. I'm almost suprised starboard didn't get cut down, since most of the time I miss a syllable of it in anything over a Beaufort 5, and once you get to exciting numbers like 7 or 8 speaking becomes a performance art at greater distances than a half-meter.

Oh its completely impractical as a term, its just that you'd have thought from that it would either never have emerged or been replaced very quickly. The fact if hung around for so long means it *feels* like it should have just continued to hang on indefinitely.

Back