• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History General Discussion

If you've seen my writings here and on my blog, you may have picked up a pattern that I've taken a liking to AH that takes an out-there premise, runs with it, and goes into detail. Draka, The Big One, and Kirov are my go-to examples, even though I'll readily agree with every single one of their plausibility (and literary) issues.

I'm wondering if the concept of "entry-level AH to the online fandom" that used to belong to the Harry Turtledove books you'd find in the sci-fi section is now obsolete. A part of me wants to say "Paradox games" since the influence they have on online AH is undeniable. However, a bigger and growing part of me thinks that alternate history has become ubiquitous enough that people can just go straight online with just a bit of searching, which is more or less how I got into it.

I'm wondering if the concept of "entry-level AH to the online fandom" that used to belong to the Harry Turtledove books you'd find in the sci-fi section is now obsolete. A part of me wants to say "Paradox games" since the influence they have on online AH is undeniable. However, a bigger and growing part of me thinks that alternate history has become ubiquitous enough that people can just go straight online with just a bit of searching, which is more or less how I got into it.

I got into it through alien invasion books, which led me to WorldWar. I wouldn't have started with a timeline.

I picked up a copy of Turtledove's Walk in Hell when I was wandering through my local second-hand bookshop in the very late '90's and went from there - a route that unfortunately seems dead now for a variety of reasons

Is the modern equivalent of the Robert Cowley What If? books Brack and Dale's 'Prime Minister X And Other Things That Never Happened'?

I reject this on the basis that nothing younger than me should be considered anything but 'modern'.

I'd say so, yes, and probably the last tranche of paperback titles like that I'd imagine

I feel it's the sort of thing that appeals to journalists and historians every so often, so you'll periodically get an editor pulling some low effort essays together (What if the English Civil War saw the cavaliers win? Explored through the a vignette set in the aftermath of Boris Johnson's 2019 election win-type stuff) and getting it published.

Back