• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Discovery and Naming of Solar Planets and Other Celestial Bodies

I think it's fair to say a lot of us know about that one thanks to a dedicated physicist and then a chemist picking it up for the beginning of one of his stories.

I don't understand a single word of that phrase. Somebody help me ?

IIRC Ill Bethisad uses the Latin name instead of the Greek for the seventh planet (Caelus?) but I don't remember after that.

This is something that interests me a lot. Here are the ones I went with in LTTW:

OTL Uranus - discovered by Charles Messier in 1794. Initially called L'Étoile du Diamant (the Diamond Star, after the martyr of the Revolution); later called Messier by some and 'Planet Six' by the Lisieux regime. Eventually the name settled on Dionysus after considering Apollo, Uranus and Neptune.

OTL Titania and Oberon - Oenopion and Staphylus (the moons are named after Dionysus' children)

OTL Neptune - Ariadne, existence deduced by Yakov Struve and named 30 years before its existence was proved. So called because Ariadne was Dionysus' consort, and Struve's work talking about being able to detect it by its gravitational effect on Dionysus was mistranslated as 'love' in the French edition.

OTL asteroids are called 'sub-planets' and the ones between Mars and Jupiter are called Trojans and named after figures from the Trojan War (in OTL confusingly this term was used for a different set of objects). OTL Ceres is Agamemnon, OTL Pallas is Odysseus, OTL Juno is Hector and OTL Vesta is Achilles. Agamemnon, the first to be discovered, was done so by Arjen Roelofs in 1808.
It's that sort of considered detail that makes TLs realistic for me!

Back