• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Cold War Sets ups and Scenarios

Cheers! Guess I was looking in the wrong forum...

The 'Writing' and 'First Draft' dichotomy can be quite confusing.

By and large the former is much more often used (788 threads vs 39), I think because a lot of the things that are written explicitly to be published people are reluctant to share for free, so you tend to see most writing projects on here are a bit more throwaway than the first drafts forum implies and so go in writing (that's where the only things I've written have gone, for one).

Honestly, Republican Spain has so many factions inside it that a victorious Republican Spain would have a good scenario for any one that pops up:

Hardline Stalinists could take over, leading to a much more hostile response from NATO powers.

POUM also has a presence, though realistically the US would probably treat them the same.

Anarchists (probably just operating underneath a Democratic Spain, since I don't think they unfortunately have the capacity to take over and not be murdered by outside powers)... honestly I have no idea how they'd react to them but probably not well.

Social Democratic Spain, which would probably go to NATO early on.

There's a lot of potential paths to jump off from if you want a good cold war in Europe, and frankly each scenario could have both power blocs react differently, none of what I said is guaranteed at all.
You could have Spain in the POUM or Anarchist scenarios working with Tito's Yugoslavia, resulting in some interesting dynamics re the Non Aligned Movement.

Plus any leftist Spain would have knock-on effects with Portugal; the Estado Novo would potentially fall earlier, and certainly wouldn't be able to commit as much to Africa if they've got to worry about an unfriendly Spain back home.

You could have Spain in the POUM or Anarchist scenarios working with Tito's Yugoslavia, resulting in some interesting dynamics re the Non Aligned Movement.

Plus any leftist Spain would have knock-on effects with Portugal; the Estado Novo would potentially fall earlier, and certainly wouldn't be able to commit as much to Africa if they've got to worry about an unfriendly Spain back home.

Not sure Tito would do something with Anarchists, but POUM is more likely (not even necessarily likely, just moreso) that Tito would see them as a potential ally for the Non-Aligned movement, if he even wanted to do that when seeing anti-Stalinist Communists across the Mediterranean. Spain's effects seem like they'd be right with what you said on Portugal.

Honestly I have no idea how to do something Anarchist in Spain. The only way I can imagine it happening is the Republic winning but Anarchism as a thing basically dominates the underbelly of the Republic.

Last edited:
Not sure Tito would do something with Anarchists, but POUM is more likely (not even necessarily likely, just moreso) that Tito would see them as a potential ally for the Non-Aligned movement, if he even wanted to do that when seeing anti-Stalinist Communists across the Mediterranean. Spain's effects seem like they'd be right with what you said on Portugal.

Honestly I have no idea how to do something Anarchist in Spain. The only way I can imagine it happening is the Republic winning but Anarchism as a thing basically dominates the underbelly of the Republic.
Or you could just have Catalonia,Basque and other regions of Spain become independent and have one of them be an Anarchist Republic I guess.

Back