• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

AHC/WI: Maastricht referendum

AgentRudda

I DID EVERYTHING RITE AND THEY INDICTED MEee 👐
Pronouns
He/Him
What conditions would be necessary to force John Major into calling a referendum on the Maastricht Treaty, and how would the referendum go?

For 'forcing the referendum', I suppose an obvious answer would be a slightly worse result in the '92 election, perhaps a minority government.

For 'forcing the referendum', I suppose an obvious answer would be a slightly worse result in the '92 election, perhaps a minority government.
If the SDP survives until the election, Owen could demand a referendum for supporting the government (as was done in UM's timeline).

One interesting factor is the timing on the referendum and where it would fall in relation to the other three—French, Danish, and Ireland—ones. If it occured before September and failed to pass then might that be enough to tip France's petit oui into becoming a petit non?

What conditions would be necessary to force John Major into calling a referendum on the Maastricht Treaty...
Major is, due to a misunderstanding on their part, told by the Whips that the Bastards are willing to defy the proposed vote of confidence by abstaining like the one MP did in our timeline? He decides to call for a referendum and essentially challenges them to put up or shut up.

Last edited:
Honestly Major was fully prepared to have the government suffer no confidence rather than allow a vote on it. It's not like he wasn't ultra close to losing confidence votes IOTL. So it's not really going to happen. Probably with good reason tbh because if he'd gone through with one he'd have had resignations at a high level and almost certainly would have lost it very badly and had to resign. Dabbling in the possibility of the government being forced to go to the country was probably the more sound choice from his POV - easier to win a general election than a referendum, or at least so would be the calculation.

Last edited:
Back