• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

AHC/WI: Continuing United Farmers Parties in Canada

Uhura's Mazda

ðat þegn/þegm þussȜ
Published by SLP
As most of you will know, I know absolutely nothing about North America, so I've only recently begun seriously Wiki-ing the Canadian Progressive movement.

Seems that the national Progressive Party failed for various reasons, including internal disputes over how much of a 'party' they should be, and their support diffused between the other parties: moderates to the Liberals, radicals to the CCF, rural populists to Social Credit and John Bracken to the Conservatives.

Meanwhile, on a provincial level, the Progressives generally called themselves United Farmers and formed governments in Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta, which usually ended in all the United Farmers losing their seats.

I suppose one method to keep the movement alive would be for the labour movement to remain doctrinaire and industrialist, thus leaving some room open in rural areas, but that's just pure ignorant spitballing. Or perhaps something could encourage parliamentary discipline before the federal-level group collapsed.

Thoughts?

For federal politics, a possible POD could be Wilfrid Laurier not dying and remaining leader of the Liberal Party. The Quebecois Laurier wouldn’t be able to do as well in the West as King did, and would not be able to attract as many former Unionists to the party. 1921 would likely result in a minority, with a stronger Progressive opposition.

From there, have Meighen lose his by-election to renter parliament (like he did in 1942 IOTL), which should end his career as Tory leader. There’s a good chance that the new Tory leader would be more small-p progressive and more open to working with the Progressives. This prevents the Progressives from being seen as just the partner of the Liberals.

For federal politics, a possible POD could be Wilfrid Laurier not dying and remaining leader of the Liberal Party. The Quebecois Laurier wouldn’t be able to do as well in the West as King did, and would not be able to attract as many former Unionists to the party. 1921 would likely result in a minority, with a stronger Progressive opposition.

OTOH Laurier did the best he could with what he had to deal with (hence his often-quoted lament "I am branded in Québec as a traitor to the French, and in Ontario as a traitor to the English. In Québec I am branded as a jingo, and in Ontario as a separatist.… I am neither. I am a Canadian. Canada has been the inspiration of my life. I have had before me as a pillar of fire by night and a pillar of cloud by day a policy of true Canadianism, of moderation, of conciliation." [obligatory citation]). The only ways Laurier would lose is if either the conscription crisis was handled differently and/or reciprocity with the US was brought up again. Attracting French-Canadians to the Progressive movement would require another strategy.

Back